Model Shipways Syren - The new Carronades have arrived !

yvesvidal

Folks,

Since we do not have a repository for the Syren (Model Shipways) any more, I am posting the good news that Model expo started shipping and distributing the new castings of the Carronades for the kit Syren. I just received mine today and here is the new casting based on the original and revisited mold by Chuck Passaro:

carronades.jpg

On top is of course, the ugly "appendices" that were shipped with the kit. On the bottom, is the new and much cleaner Chuck Passaro casting.

Yves

Edited by yvesvidal

Thats good news... here are some pics of the original and cast versions I sent them. And one all painted up.  For replacements,  just call them on teh phone and they will send you a new set for free.   Dont use those crappy ones.  I have no idea where they got them and they are the wrong size and wont fit.

casting 006.jpg

casting 003.jpg

casting 010.jpg

casting 008.jpg

casting 013.jpg

Chuck

Wow! this is good news. Now will they replace the figurehead with Resin?

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Chuck (and everyone else) -

I just got my replacements today and I wish I could say I'm satisfied with them but I'm not.

It appears that all MS did was "clean up" the castings without fixing the obvious underscale problems. There is now a hole on the cascabel instead of a stick but they are still exactly the same dimensions as the old ones , i.e. so skinny they look like swivel guns. All the MS folks had to do was lay the new ones on top of the drawings and they would see how inadequate they are. They are only about 60% wide as the drawings call for. These things don't even resemble carrondades.

This is a real let down, I'll probably pack the kit up and send it back to MS since guns are the heart of any warship model and its not too much to ask that they get them right. 

I hope the MS folks follow this thread, pull out the "new" ones and compare them to yours and their own drawings and fix this.

Tim

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

So your saying that they are not the ones I pictures above???  Those are a perfect fit.  Perfect scale and match what a carronade for that period should look like.   They are not 42 pounders.  they were real tiny 24's.    But to each is their own.  There was never a screw in the casting...you have to make that part of the carronade assembly.  But there could have been shrinkage when they spin cast it.  Sorry...but they matched my plans perfectly when I cast them in resin.  Send it back

Chuck

Chuck, 

I have no doubt that what you cast and sent MS was correct in all respects but I can't compare your photos to what I have in hand.

What MS sent out as replacements, while much cleaner than the originals and their length is accurate, their width is almost 50% too small per the drawings and they don't look anything like the photos in you practicum - their  width is almost uniform from muzzle to base while the photos in the practicum and the drawings show the typical wide base associated with carronades, regardless of shot weight .

Don't assume what you sent them is what we got, ask them to send you a sample and match it to your drawings - if your happy then I'll just assume I've got some vision problem.

Thanks

Tim

Tim

Current build: Continental Navy Frigate ALFRED (build log)                      

Past builds:     Steam Tug SEGUIN (build log in the kits 1850-1900 section)       

Liberty Ship SS Stephen Hopkins (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Basilone (DD-824) (Gallery & Build Log)

USS Olympia (Gallery)

USS Kirk (FF-1087) (Gallery & Build Log)

Does anyone know of commercial carronades that would fit the MS Syren better?

TKS

Cheers, Harley<p 

Under Construction:       USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54 1/200 by ILoveKit

Completed:                     F-35A 1/48 by Tamiya

USS Atlanta CL-51 1/350 by Very Fire 

Liberty Ship John W. Brown 1/350 by Trumpeter

HMS Spiraea K-08 1/350 

USS Arizona BB-39 1/200 by Trumpeter/Mk1 Design

HMS Sir Gareth 1/350 by Starling Models

USS Missouri BB-63 1945 1/350 by Joy-Yard, 9/11/21

USS Indianapolis CA-35 1945 1/350 by Trumpeter

USS Kidd DD-661, 1945, 1/350, on The Sullivans kit by Trumpeter

USS Alaska CB-1, 1/350, Hobby Boss, Circa 2/1945

Brig Syren 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Started,On Hold:     Frigate Confederacy 1/64 Model Shipways, Wood

Nope,  not me.  I have since seen pics of the new ones in position.  They actually fit quite well even though there was some shrinkage.

Chuck

• 6 months later...

Chuck,

I just ordered my Syren from model expo a few days ago, would it be safe to say the new ones would of filtered through by now?

If not, does your site offer a better replacement?

I saw you have all sorts of goodies, but as I have not yet received the ship, I'm not sure what items, if any you'd would recommend upgrading

Thanks for your input!

Cheers

Rowan

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

If I may step in here. I would start by replacing all the blocks with blocks from Chuck. Then I would go on and do the same with all the rigging. Next I would replace the cannons and the carriages. That is all that Chuck offers for the Syren at this time. I bet that by the time you complete the hull he will have more.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10: