1:426 USS Arizona

FKarl

Not a build log. Just wanted to share....

I've seen many versions of this where folks just paint the railing without removing the plastic between the rails. I've seen also the photo tech route taken.

What I've discovered just today is that with a small bit used as a saw in my pin vise, I can remove that material. Tedious for sure but I think it'll make a difference. I'm just hoping it cleans up with some 600 grit paper.

I'll post the result after I get a few done. Just wanted to share the idea.

• 1 month later...

railings were more tedious than I thought. only did one side..... broke a few in the "sawing process" although it worked fairly well and is a technique I will use in the future I am sure.

been working along pretty steadily and just about finished. I tried my hand at weathering (deck) and need more practice for sure.... overall I am pleased with my efforts though. Decals and "optional" rigging still to go... here are a couple progress photos. The railing got sanded as best as I could but I wish it had come out better.  

one question. I was unable to find exactly how they retrieved the planes? I know with the crane... but exactly how did they "hook up"? I cant imagine they put anyone over the rail to use cables and hooks. Stymied.

post-7617-0-60041200-1407020148_thumb.jpg

post-7617-0-75982400-1407020156_thumb.png

post-7617-0-21074300-1407020166_thumb.jpg

Brush a little glosscote where the decals will go, and of course let it dry. Since this will give the area a smooth surface it will be easier to position the decals. Some people say to put decal set on the model before placing the decal. I found that the decal set limits your time to get the decal positioned properly. So I use a lot of water. After positioning and drying up excess water I then use setting solution. After all is dry, give a clear coat to seal it in.

Ron W.

Ron W.

To retreive the planes,,they drug a mat in the water onto which the plane would taxi. Once the speed matched the ship a hook was lowered and the observer would climb up, catch a hook,attach it to the plane and then they were lifted aboard. Theres a little video of this just recently but I forgot where it is.  Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

still learning the techniquies you all speak of here. I am happy enough with the result for such a small scale but aim to do better on whatever is next.

Thanks for the tips on decals. I hope to have time to get the needed supplies this weekend.

More photos as requested.

post-7617-0-03124900-1407362992_thumb.jpg

post-7617-0-74094500-1407363013_thumb.jpg

post-7617-0-63916100-1407363032_thumb.jpg

To retreive the planes,,they drug a mat in the water onto which the plane would taxi. Once the speed matched the ship a hook was lowered and the observer would climb up, catch a hook,attach it to the plane and then they were lifted aboard. Theres a little video of this just recently but I forgot where it is.  Bill

You've no idea how long i've looked for this info!!!

So, youre saying the pilot would get up and attach the hook afterward? One hook? what did it hook up to? Just a big D ring on the fuselage? ANychance you nmight steer me towards that video?

FKarl, I've looked for "bout 45 min fro this video and can't find it in MSW. The video showed the o server climbing out to catch the hook while the plane was up on the mat. You might try a general Google or Bing search. Sorry. Bill

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

No OSHA back then!

Man, that is a fact. 

Review committees complain about how long new military (and civilian) hardware  takes to develop nowadays, but  the reality is, we are much more concerned now about preserving the fragile, squishy humans working with this equipment...

• 2 months later...