Advice on disc sander

New to model ships.I want to bevel one edge of the hull planking, but of course I'm going to get a most inconsistent result running it across my dewalt palm sander. What are folks using, or how does one sand small items like that?

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

I simply put the plank in a vise (between two long piece of scrap wood) and sand using a very long sanding stick held at the proper angle.  I'm afraid that with a power tool, I take too much off the plank.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I also clamp and do it by hand. More control. You can always sand to fit. But you cannot add the wood once you remove it.

David B

Obviously you get a consistent angle then... What grit(s) and at what progression. E.g. 220, then 320, then 400, then 600...? I cant imagine starting with something very coarse...

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Nice. Thanks, Proteus. What was that, the 2nd pilot, Captain Pike?

In Dry Dock:

:cheers: I have every episode. Have you seen Boston Legal? Turns out old William can act after all.

Thanks!

In Dry Dock:

I f you are talking about beveling planks to fit I generally start out with a sanding block with 220 and that is all I use.

David B

Edited by dgbot