Protection for copper plates when continuing the build and long term

Hi,

I am copper plating the Syren.  I am looking for various options/experiences others have tried in protecting the finish before continuing with the build.  

I know that as I continue work there is a good chance that it will be damaged.  I can foresee both fingerprints as well as scratches and dents.

Thanks

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

When I copper plated the hull of my Norfolk (my only attempt at copper plating- so far) I found that the 1:64 copper plates were quite sturdy. I doubt that you will dent them as such. Fingerprints can't really be avoided but I removed mine with some white vinegar. I got some minor scratches on some of my plates because I used a hobby knife blade to remove the excess CA glue from them (I found that the CA debonder tended to debond the plates as well!) Hence the carefully scraping with a hobby knife. To get rid of any minor scratches made by the hobby knife, I just used some very fine grade steel wool. They came up really well. I decided to put some green patina on my plates ( using JAX green patina). In order for this to 'take' properly the tiles needed to be really clean. So my advice is not to be too concerned about the plates, they will come up fine. If you are not convinced, you may like to try purchasing a thick piece of sponge rubber. Trace around your hull then cut out and nestle the model in the sponge so that it is protected by the sponge ( it may have to be a fairly thick piece of sponge depending on the size of the ship.)That way you can work on the deck without worrying about getting any marks on the plates. Norfolk is in my gallery, check it out for dents and scratches. I don't think you'll find any and I was not very 'precious' with it during construction.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Richard,

Prior to coppering, I typically complete the decks, bulwarks, cap rails, exterior hull paint, as well as dry fitting the bowsprit.  After coppering I support the hull in a building cradle lined with felt tape.  Pictures of my Brigantine "Newsboy" 1854 shortly after coppering are attached.

Pete

Shipbuilder

post-5855-0-99481400-1411895376_thumb.jpg

post-5855-0-04673300-1411918979_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete Jaquith

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Thanks for the responses.

Hornet, I should have said that I am using copper tape with one side pre glued.  It is very thin, fragile so I am could do as suggested.  Since your reply I have looked around on line and see that there are companies that sell actual copper plates, some come with nail impressions.  I may try some of these to see how they compare.

Pete, except for the bowsprit I pretty much did the same.  But the tape is so thin and damages so easily that I am pretty sure I will do some damage.  I have read about some folks who put a protective finish on the plating but cannot find the references.

I appreciate your ideas.

Richard

Richard

Richard,

My Brigantine "Newsboy" 1854 was coppered with self adhesive copper tape from Bluejacket Ship Crafters.  It was protected with three coats of Minwax Wiping Varnish.  The planning and installation process is outlined at the following link:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6783-coppering-the-ship-model-hull/page-1

Regards

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Yes Richard, those are the plates I used. I've not had any experience with the tape but have seen the results on some builds on this site. They look good. Copper plates are quite tedious to install but I would suggest that they are far more robust long term. There is also a sense of satisfaction (although some of my friends shake their heads in disbelief) when you complete installing them. My current build - the HMS Supply does not come with copper plates but my research tells me it had them. I'm going to get some from either Cornwall Model Boats or Model Dockyard and fit them in the coming months.

Cheers

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Richard,

I have done several ships with the copper tape, most recently Euro Model's Ajax. The only thing I ever worry about is lifting of the tape at the corners due to handling. These can always be smoothed down at any time. Otherwise, the minor dings, scratches, etc can be considered "patina" so long as the runs are straight and correct. After all, this is a ship's hull and not a model of a Bentley. Keep it real. 

wq3296

Pete, Thanks for the link.  I must have missed it when I searched. As a result of reading it, I am also considering using masking tape to line out the plates.  I'm not sure I did a great job up to now on the port side... think I will try it when I do the starboard side.

Clearway, a coating of lacquer or wipe on poly might help.  I will experiment with both on a separate piece.

wq3296, great thought about minor dings and scratches being real world patina.  By the way, do you have a build for your Ajax?

Thanks to all,

Richard 

Edited by rtropp

Richard