personal choice plays a big part i reckon, but for me on my golden hind painting

below the waterline was a godsend. i reckon the kit was missing (among many other

things) at least 16 second layer planking strips. luckily i had many of the same dimension

left over from amati santa maria and although a different colour because i painted

below the waterline nobody (ok, except you guys) knows any different. staining

or more to the point clear coating looks fabulous on a well planked hull though.

sort of like looking at the admiral in a swimsuit as opposed to a trench coat :rolleyes: ...

cheers chris

Painting adds another dimension to the hobby. Especially playing with an airbrush or using a steady hand to create fine detail. Some models look great stained or sprayed with polyurethane. Others look great with some paintwork - as long as the colours are accurate. I have models which have parts painted and others with no paint at all. I try to build everything as if it was going to be stained - it encourages me to work slowly and carefully!

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

Agree with everything that has been said,   it’s all a pens- on, it depends on the ship, the type of wood, the effect your looking for. Some say historical accuracy drives all, which is great if that’s the desired end. Using the Rattlesnake as an example if everyone went for the same historical colour scheme we would have allot of builds that mostly look alike.  For me it’s all about the look and feel  I want to achieve, when I do paint which is very little  it’s for detail,   I don’t like hiding the natural wood tones so I stain and oil, using different types of wood, letting the colour, tones and shades take their own course, but that’s just the way I build.  Everyone is different on how they get to their final result.  I guess that’s what I enjoy about this hobby you can see the same ship in so many different ways each with its own style and feel.  Just my thoughts.

MOG

Current Build:   Not a ship 

Completed Builds:   Mississippi River Boat OcCre 1:80

Bluenose, Model Shipways 1:48

Rattlesnake, Model Shipways 1:64

Dumas # 1233  PT Boat,  Wood, 1:30 

1914-1918 US Army Mule drawn Ambulance 1:16 

If the proper choice of wood species and quality has been made, there is another option: wood dyes.   A stain is sort of a semitransparent paint. A dye is totally transparent.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

Ahoy Mates :D

I have thinned paint and used it as stain to color wood. I use Winson and Newton Artisan Water mixable Oil Colour

http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/oil-colour/artisan-water-mixable-oil-colour

I use mineral spirits to thin it for use on wood. Takes a little bit longer to dry but I feel it penetrates better. Then I clear coat it with poly 

The only problem with this method is I can not get a fine line to delineate so must use paint to transition it. After doing the poly top coat, I tape it off and do a paint line. I usually work around trim or the wales so where I do have a paint line it looks accurate.  I am sure it would be the same for anyone trying to use different stains. 

I find the yellow ocher produces a nice period color but still shows off the wood.  

Edited by JPett

On with the Show.... B) 

J.Pett

“If you're going through hell, keep going” (Winston Churchill)

Current build:  MS Rattlesnake (MS2028)

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/45-model-shipways-rattlesnake-ms2028-scale-164th/

Side Build: HMS Victory: Corel

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/3709-hms-victory-by-jpett-corel-198/?p=104762

On the back burner:  1949 Chris Craft Racer: Dumas

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/939-1949-chris-craft-racer-by-jpett-dumas-kit-no-1702/

Sometime, but not sure when: Frigate Berlin: Corel

http://www.corel-srl.it/pdf/berlin.pdf