Friendship Sloop by DRW-FJ40 - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - Scale 1:12

I finished the second layer of planking. I wasn't real sure how to handle the transition into the keel and ultimately I just transitioned to a single 1/32" plank and then transitioned to the first layer of planks just past the garboard strake. I did this to keep the width of the keel per the original plans.

I put a coat of primer on which revealed a few areas that still need a bit of work. Mainly that transition around the garboard strake. I'm using model expo paint applied with a brush. On some of my hulls I've gone for a highly polished surface and I didn't want to do that here because I plan to paint it and I want it to look vintage ~1910 & still be able to see some of the plank lines & I think a sprayed and polished paint job would look like a modern fiberglass hull. 

Anyways, here is where I'm at & I'll work on a few spots and then start the deck planking. Nice to be moving on to another phase. 

IMG_3181_zps5u75wuyj.jpg

IMG_3186_zpsb7xsvtdq.jpg

IMG_3189_zps0adshfje.jpg

IMG_3191_zpszqu23i1n.jpg

Looking good.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

• 6 months later...

Well... I'm not breaking any speed build records here but I have made some progress. deck planks on, trimmed & stained. I kept fiddling with the hull finish to the point that you can no longer see the plank lines through the paint... not what I had intended but at this point, I have a fairly decent shape and it has enough slight imperfections so as not to look like a fiberglass hull and not so much that it looks like a botched model. 

I had resigned myself to the idea that I'll need to put a new mahogany veneer on the transom so I figured I'd paint the one that's on there and see how I liked that look... and I like it... I think I'm going to keep the paint the same color as the hull. 

IMG_3681_zpsumhtgxks.jpg

IMG_3677_zpsgyrmchf9.jpg

IMG_3661_zpst8nboehq.jpg

• 2 years later...

I have made some, although looking at the date of my last update, the progress I have made isn't too impressive. I have the cabin on & seats, combing in. I did design and 3D print portholes for the cabin. I'll try to get some pics up this weekend. I 3D printed some portholes to fit the curvature of the cabin. I did them in plastic to make sure I had the fit right with the intent of printing them in brass but... probably will just paint them.