HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

Thanks Ken and Pops. I've been reading Bligh's log book to get a feel for what was on the boat. The fact that they spent a few days on an island where they obtained items for boat repairs makes the wheels turn wondering what exactly did they take?

I must read on.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Arrr, nice work on the hardware, me buck-o! And the chest hath rope handles to boot.

Very weak imitation of Cap'n Steve's comments. Hope he doesn't mind.

Arrr ... don't be listening to 'im, Matt ... that be a VERY good impression of the tool chest.

Excellent work indeed.

:cheers:

Incidentally, I'm not too sure what items for boat repairs they would've picked up. I'd have to re-read the Mutiny log to be certain, but I was of the opinion that they only collected coconuts, fruits and berries - oh, and one seagull - along the way. Not even a single fish was caught, despite reports that a line was constantly set (must've been using the wrong kinda bait).

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks CaptainSteve,

The day was April 30, 1789 in the Bounty log book where I read "I thought of making some improvements on my Boat on the Spot". It may have been a reorganization of supplies, what is your thoughts? I haven't read too far into the log yet, just trying to get a feel for the time. It said they also did some trading for spears, I hope I'm not reading too much into it, I'm just trying to think of what I would have taken from the island.

Oh yeah CaptainSteve, I thing Ken was trying to imitate your way of sailor talk, I think he thought his imitation was weak, not the chest:)

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Guys, both tool chests are outstanding. This apprentice "Chips" has at least two good role models here. :cheers:

Matt is correct, I was attempting the Cap'n. If it needs explanation, then it wasn't done well. :(

Have a pleasant Boxing Day/St Stephen's Day, y'all!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Guys, both tool chests are outstanding. This apprentice "Chips" has at least two good role models here. :cheers:

Matt is correct, I was attempting the Cap'n. If it needs explanation, then it wasn't done well. :(

Have a pleasant Boxing Day/St Stephen's Day, y'all!

Arr .. it be all good, Ken.

I jus' be funning wit' ye !!

:dancetl6:  :dancetl6:  :dancetl6:

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

The day was April 30, 1789 in the Bounty log book where I read "I thought of making some improvements on my Boat on the Spot". It may have been a reorganization of supplies, what is your thoughts? I haven't read too far into the log yet, just trying to get a feel for the time. It said they also did some trading for spears, I hope I'm not reading too much into it, I'm just trying to think of what I would have taken from the island.

I could not find any reference to "Boat on the Spot" or improvements, specifically, in my copy of Bligh's Log. The closest I found around April 30 was when they were at 'Tofua' (in the Friendly Isles), where they stocked up with coconuts, bread-fruits, 'plantains' and water, by "... trading for a few buttons and beads with the friendly natives we found there."

Oh, and, yes, the spears are specifically mentioned.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

I read the log book on fatefulvoyage.com I don't know if it reads any different than your copy. Let me know what you find.

Matt

Well I finally got all the thwarts in. I had been waiting until the windlass and handles were complete to see if everything fit, and worked together. Looks a little more complete while I work on the tools.

post-17116-0-09299200-1419686723_thumb.jpg

That's lookin' really good, Matt !!!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well thanks CaptainSteve and Pops, and to All who have liked my posts.

Actually Pops, you gave me the idea of the handles going all the way through and I put the "iron" band stoppers, well, it just looked right.

I've also been looking up cord or rope whipping handles, so we'll see how they turn out. There are so many ways to do this so I'm trying to find some naval examples. I'm hoping to have this finished this eve.

Matt

The hand spikes on the plans don't seem long enough for good leverage. The old saying, "if you had a long enough stick, a man could lift the earth". Seems like the ships anchor would be pretty heavy.

post-17116-0-35464000-1419714424_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattsayers148

Well I did the whipping on the handspikes, not too thrilled. I change a French whip into 4 half hitches to the left then 4 to the right. I'm still surfin to find one that looks ok at this scale.

So today I shaped the rudder, made and installed pintles and gudgeons. I also finally made the stand so my rudder wouldn't get ruined. Still have to make the tiller and masts, then I go back to working on the more detailed pieces(contents of boat)

The rudder fit right in under the crane so the tiller will be off and stored onboard.

Hope everyone is having a good time during this holiday season.

Matt

post-17116-0-11771500-1419828420_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-63874000-1419828878_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-52689900-1419828897_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-66832200-1419828952_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-94135600-1419829002_thumb.jpg

Looks really good Matt.   :)  I specially like the way your handles turned out.

I guess I must have done something wrong because my rudder won't fit under or through the crane.

I'm just going to store my in the boat.

I'm hoping to get some pics into my build later this week.

Edited by Pops

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Thanks Pops, I think I just got lucky. I can't wait to see your pics.

Matt

Sweet job on those handles. The whipping looks very authentic, indeed.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Matt, nice job! Those handles are outstanding. :cheers:

I'm hoping to get back in the 'yard today, now that the final visitors have been well fed and sent home happy. :) You and the Cap'n have set high standards for us mere mortals. ;)

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Thanks CaptainSteve and Ken. I searched for hours for knots and instructions for cord or rope whipping. I came up with this one, and only after completion did I think to search YouTube. Search "paracord" and bam, a whole slough naval examples and information about presentation naval oars that are absolutely incredible! So I still have the oars to get a little crazy with.

I was at the hobby shop Saturday and found these little grab bags of different size and shapes of brass tubing. Only three bucks! Saved a lot of time with the pintles and gudgeons!

Matt

post-17116-0-44305300-1419860122_thumb.jpg

Well, I didn't get that lucky, but I did buy some brass tubing to do the same thing.

As an aside, have you looked at the anchor for this boat.  It's the same size as the one on the Longboat and sure seems to be awfully small.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Matt, you have a local hobby shop? Ours only carries Lionel sized trainsand is open random

hours weekdays only.

Ken

Hey Pops,

Yeah it kind looks like a fish hook. I think I'm going to google "18th century boat anchors" and see what I find. CaptainSteve's Kit-bashers guide has a post showing how to make your own. It's pretty cool, if you haven't yet, check it out, lots of really good ideas.

Hey Ken,

Yeah there's one not too far from me, I'm pretty sure they're open every day. I'd say the bulk is R/C and trains. They actually have a small corner for ModelShipways. It's way cheaper buying online, but if you need something now, it's worth it. There's also a wood craftsman style store down the road. I haven't been down since I started shipbuilding so I need to go soon. They have everything for making large projects all the way down to intricate inlayins, every kind of wood you can think of. It's one of those stores you should leave your pocket book at home for your first visit.

So for everyone, that bag of metal pieces is made by K&S Precision metals, stock #320. I just checked out the site, all I can say is wow!

So if you go on eBay, search "k&s 320 tube assortment" or "707".

Edited by mattsayers148

Hey Pops,

CaptainSteve's Kit-bashers guide has a post showing how to make your own. It's pretty cool, if you haven't yet, check it out, lots of really good ideas.

Thanks fer the plug, Matt !!

I was at the hobby shop Saturday and found these little grab bags of different size and shapes of brass tubing. Only three bucks! Saved a lot of time with the pintles and gudgeons!

Matt

So for everyone, that bag of metal pieces is made by K&S Precision metals, stock #320. I just checked out the site, all I can say is wow!

So if you go on eBay, search "k&s 320 tube assortment" or "707".

Arr,

That's exactly the sort of info we be lookin' for over at Kit-Basher's !!

(Incidentally, here's that anchor.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Well I stole a few minutes the last couple nites finishing the tiller and starting the oars.

Thank to everyone for your approval ratings on the whipping, the tiller and oars will also be receiving rope work. After today I should have four days off to make some progress.

Matt

post-17116-0-15171700-1420032182_thumb.jpg

Well I finally got all the oars made, now it time to add more whipping

post-17116-0-34158100-1420091758_thumb.jpg

Well I finally got one of the oars done, nine to go. It took awhile to come up with a design for the whipping.

I picked a spiral hitch(also called French whip) with a 3 pass/5 bight Turks Head for the decorative ends. In real life these knots are fairly easy, but making them to this scale was a challenge. I made jig for starting the first pass of the Turks head that's an inch square. It was then transferred to the oar, tighten knot, and finished it with 2 more passes.

post-17116-0-42534000-1420175028_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-80034200-1420175045_thumb.jpg

Those whippings are looking mighty fine, Matt !!

I be thinkin' the ones on the real Launch started out in life a-lookin' like yours .... and ended up more like mine.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

I've used these very successfully for rigging ... especially for threading dead-eye pairs.

Thank you guys for the likes and comments. I kind lucked out though because my great-grandma taught me fine thread crochet when I was little, and that still one of my other hobbies. This one definitely pushed me past my comfort zone.