HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

Nice work, Matt !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey CaptainSteve,

Thank you for your positive words and well taken advice. Now that I got past that hurdle, it's time to start filling my tool chest.

Matt

post-17116-0-80752900-1421550558_thumb.jpg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thank you all for the likes,

While working on my tools, I grabbed my favorite pipe and my tub of sweet, aromatic Captain Black. I saw she needed cleaning, so I went to my tobacco drawer to grab a pipe cleaner. I open said drawer and BAM!, there's my compass lens that's been milling around in my head for weeks.

Those little squirrels, I'm gonna have to give them an extra little treat for helping out on this one.

Check out CaptainSteve's Kit bashers guide for more info on my lens.

Matt

post-17116-0-75079000-1421607765_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-28968200-1421607783_thumb.jpg

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey Buck,

Now who would there be to give such great inspirational guidance with out you? I'm still undecided about the "seeing" device, so I'm going ahead with the tools without one.

Thanks to you and everyone for the likes. It's pretty hard keeping stride with the big dogs!

A few chisels a day...eh, I'll try and one a day til the boat capsizes.

post-17116-0-89210700-1421632726_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-09601700-1421632741_thumb.jpg

Your tool-box and chisels look awesome Matt.  Where did you find, and where do you keep, the little elf's that are building these wonderful tiny things for you?  :P  And more importantly, what do you feed them to keep them happy?  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Hey George,

Thank you for the kind words. Contrary to the popular belief in elves, I have my deep beliefs in the less popular vermin, squirrels! They battle with their archenemy, common sense, and often win they do. As long as I keep my hair and beard long, to give them shelter, they've agreed to tell me a thing or two now and again.

Matt

Spectacular work on those chisels, Matt. Having made a set meself, you know that I know how small they are. I think mine used the "leg" (short bit) of a staple as the blade.

So, how did you make 'em look so realistic ??

PS: Hats off to the squirrels.

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

My template pics: I printed these using the scale option until they were really close to scale. I turned walnut stock referring to the full pics for similar details.

post-17116-0-94357200-1421648191_thumb.jpg

I used this piece from my exploded bic lighter for the blades. I flattened them out, shaped em with my dremel, then put flames to it with a bic lighter. The flame darkened the shine out .

I know what you mean, the handles are only 1/16 thick, that why I used the walnut.

post-17116-0-53855800-1421647467_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-53530400-1421647490_thumb.jpg

I know you ain't a fan of the Optivisor (yet), but you really should consider putting one as a permanent part of your model .... just so people can see the incredible detail you are doing.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

You are too kind. I've been looking, so that's a good start? Do you have any input about other magnifiers. The ones I'm talking about in particular: (1)the soldering one with the little work stand, light and iron holder (2)the lighted table one w/ adjustable arm (3)the one you can clamp anywhere and has a bifold adjustable arm. Also what magnification should I look for(3x, 5x, 10x)? Buck and anyone else are asked for their input as well.

I don't know why I'm fighting this. Is it claustrophobia? Is it fear of my family feeling like they've completely lost me now? Or the very real threat that the squirrels may leave me altogether? I am starting to bend, just not broken yet.

Matt

Personally, I use a very cheap pair of magnified reading glasses. They can be bought off-the-rack at almost every pharmacy in Australia. There are various strengths available (1.5x, 2x, etc etc). I have a pair of 3.5x, which are the strongest I've seen available. They cost about $10.00, and sit permanently on my work-table.

By the way, I can't get over those tools !!

What are the blade covers made from ??

Abso-bloody-lutely amazing !!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

The guys name is John Neeman, google him, he's got some incredible handmade tools.

Matt

Edited by mattsayers148

Damn !! I wanna meet HIS squirrels !!!

B)  B)  B)

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Personally, I use a very cheap pair of magnified reading glasses. They can be bought off-the-rack at almost every pharmacy in Australia. There are various strengths available (1.5x, 2x, etc etc). I have a pair of 3.5x, which are the strongest I've seen available. They cost about $10.00, and sit permanently on my work-table.

Hey CaptainSteve,

Well I went to the local Walgreen's and bought two pair of 3.25x glasses (they were buy 1 get 1 free for $11.99). I'll give em a whirl tonite and let ya know how it goes.

Matt

What astonishing detail !

This is an inspirational build.

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

Hey Mike,

Thank you for your kind words. I have to share the positive words with my fellow builders. If it wasn't for their help and encouragement, I'd have this build done long ago. If you haven't done so already, you should check out CaptainSteve's Kit~basher's Guide to the Galaxy. There are many examples of the ingenuity displayed in this forum.

Matt

Arr ...

Thank ye, Matt ... but, you should be aware Kit-Basher's is non-profit, and that I cannot pay you for your promotional work.

:cheers:

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

If there's a Dollar Tree in your area, those 3.25 and 3.5 mag glasses are only a dollar. Been going there for years. 

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Hey CaptainSteve,

I can only do what them squirrels tell me to do. Other than almost falling on my head when I took off the glasses, my first effort is well...my first effort. I think it'll get better with time.

Hey George,

Thanks for the info. I always forget about the dollar store, I usually go there when traveling.

Matt

post-17116-0-81229500-1421721487_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-43265500-1421721539_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-53274400-1421721556_thumb.jpg

That's what I love about the Dollar Tree. Everything there is always just a dollar per item, not like those other dollar stores where most of what you find is $2 to $10.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

HMS Bounty Launch: small hand chisel take 2

post-17116-0-27055700-1421729775_thumb.jpg

Wow! You've got those squirrels working overtime Matt. Those chisels are looking great. An essential addition to any toolbox.  B)

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Well, I did my 5 chisels for the week. I might have to add ADHD to my list of ailments. My launch looked a bit naked so I started on the sails, one down, one to go. Will post pics when I get them done, hopefully tomorrow.

Hey! CaptainSteve and Buck! Is that you guys on that boat?

post-17116-0-05461900-1422041411_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-23530800-1422041818_thumb.jpg

Edited by mattsayers148

Don't know how anybody can do that good a job at these little scales.  Excellent work Matt.

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

Brilliant job on the chisels, Matt .. but, then again, you've conditioned us to expect nothing less from you.

Can't wait to see 'em in your tool-chest.

The boat in your picture does look a lot like the Launch ... or, at least, a lot like Model Shipways' version.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Those chisels came out fantastic Matt! What will you be doing to amaze us next? After those squirrels take their short, and well-earned vacation of course.  :D

Cheers :dancetl6:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Matt just finished going through the entire log , what a wonderful job you are doing, the tiny tools are great.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hey Pops,CaptainSteve, Buck, George and Michael,

Thank you guys, I might have to have surgery to reduce the swelling on my brain before there's permanent damage(or just more). Oh yes, there's plenty to add still to my box. The sails are the last big things to make. Then on to the finer details, which as things go on this build, may be summer before I finish.

Here's a shot at an almost complete sail. I most likely will furl the sails so as not to block the view.

Matt

post-17116-0-57670600-1422083698_thumb.jpg