HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

Hey David,

Thank you for your positive words of encouragement. I have to share the positive input with those who help inspire me with their incredible abilities of craftsmanship and thinking outside the box.

Hey CaptainSteve,

I spent a couple hours yesterday looking at hundreds of photos from the Royal Museums Greenwich for the ratchet mechanism. I found one small service vessel that I think is the answer. The photos were a little grainy but I could make out what appears to be like the first image with the two pawls on the top side opposing each other. The windlass also looked to be the same overall diameter as the gear itself. I'm trying to figure a way to get an image that is easier to see.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Please excuse my crappy freehand drawing (never been one of my strengths), but this is, allegedly, what the winch piece would look like ...

post-675-0-01936400-1421158852_thumb.jpg

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey CaptainSteve,

So only one side would have the ratchet assembly?

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Not sure on that point, Matt.

I'd suspect not. I would think there would be one on each side of the boat ... even if just for aesthetic purposes.

But in my picture both ends were meant to be ratcheted.

(By the way, that pic isn't exactly true to scale ... the central drum area would take up a greater percentage of the whole thing.)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

That seems to what I've seen in older models, the windlass looks pretty bulky.

Matt

I guess you could scale back the working parts (ratchet ends and strength bands) a bit. 

Also, when you asked about the ratchet assembly being on both sides, I wondered whether the entire winch bar could be reversible. That way, only one pawl arm set-up would be needed on just a single side ... the winch bar (with both ends ratcheted) could then simply be lifted out and turned around to allow for winching either over the prow or over the stern crane.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Since the winch was most likely used not too often, reversing makes sense.

Or... Each side has a complete ratchet assembly, on side forward and the other side reversed. One side engaged, the other side free spinning.

I'm trying to guide my attention towards my tool chest...again. I found this list by googling 18th century shipbuilding tools. This may help those who might wonder what could have been in the carpenters toolbox.

From Ralamb's Skeps Byggerij, 1691.

Trans. by J. Aasland, Jr., Hampton, Va.

Early Shipbuilding Tools used in Sweden and Other Countries

1—English Broad Axe. 2—Compass. 3—Compass with Chalk Holder. 4—Chalk Line on Roller. 5—Compass. 6—Axe for Holes. 7—Ruler. 8—Tongue on Ruler 1½ ft. 9—Dutch Ruler. 10—Tongue on Ruler for Ship layout. 11—Swedish Cutting Axe. 12—Trimming Hatchet. 13—Hook for removing old calking. 14—English Adz. 15—Adz. 16—Swedish or Dutch Adz. 17—English Handsaw. 18—Handsaw with Handle. 19—Mallet. 20—Hammer. 21—Claw Hammer. 22—Circle Saw. 23—Auger. 24—Dutch Brace Auger. 25—English Wood Chisel. 26—Wood Chisel. 27—English Mallet. 28—Gouge. 29—Swedish Mallet. 30—Gouge. 31—Gouge. 32—Gouge. 33—Calking Mallet. 34—Calking Tool. 35—Spike Iron. 36—Calking Tool. 37—Calking Mallet. 38—English Gouge. 39—Calking Iron. 40—Lubricating Tool, also for removing pitch. 41—Hook for removing oakum or old calking. 42—Calking Iron. 43—Calking Iron. 44—Tool used to clean out seams. 45—Calking Iron. 46—Calking Iron. 47—Scraper.

post-17116-0-30361200-1421239747.jpg

Oh dear ...

The squirrels have gotten free !!

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

Some call it OCD, some call it anal-retentive, some call it crazy! Just imagine what my family and co-workers are exposed to on a daily basis! It's kind of love, hate thing.

Matt

Hey Pops, I think you're right, at this scale there is WAY too many details to be done. I wonder if a life size boat would be quicker?

Hey Cathead, it's my pleasure to share things I find. It's humbleing and inspirational to see all the incredible work done on the builds here.

Thanks to everyone for all the likes. So I got my bag of gears today, and sad to see they seem a bit too small for the ratchet gear. I just might have to make them out of wood.

Matt

Matt,

It really wasn't that hard building the tools for the tool chest. Once I got the first tool completed, it really got me going with each and every tool after that. If you go to my log on the Launch you can see what I built. The hardest thing for me in this  adventure in minuature was putting Bligh's inscription on his coconut. :dancetl6:

Mario

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Thanks Mario and for all the likes.

I think your toolbox with tools was one of first I had seen when I started my build. It has certainly helped inspire me to see yours and others with such talent. Trial and error is a great teacher, but it's nice to have all the help here to avoid some of the common errors.

Matt

Hey Matt,

My log is not very great. MSW1 was upgraded to MSW2. But they had a crash that wiped everything out. But I have a some what more detailed build log here. It might help you with some questions if any. But you are really doing a great build here. Have fun.

http://modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?3529.0

I had a lot of fun building this boat. Right now I'm not building. Just putting my wood shop together. Then i will get back at it.

Thank You all...

Mario

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

Thank you Mario for your kind words.

Matt

Maybe in my younger days David, after all I'm Irish. But maybe....that tonic might get rid of the crazy!?

Matt

So I did some work on the windlass. I made the ratchet gears out of wood so that I could make it to whatever size need be.

It was recommended that I bulk up the windlass, so I decided to add whelps. Only thing left to do is installing the pawls.

I decided to install the gears opposite of each other so there would be a locked position for both up and down.

post-17116-0-26460800-1421469379_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-37219900-1421469401_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-97487200-1421469420_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-50298900-1421469458_thumb.jpg

That has to be the most beautiful windlass I have ever seen, Matt. How did you make those ratchet wheels? 

Regards, Keith

gallery_1526_572_501.jpg 2007 (completed): HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina  gallery_1526_579_484.jpg 2013 (completed): Viking Ship Drakkar - Amati  post-1526-0-02110200-1403452426.jpg 2014 (completed): HMS Bounty Launch - Model Shipways

post-1526-0-63099100-1404175751.jpg Current: HMS Royal William - Euromodel

Thank you Keith and for all the likes.

I started out trying to use these blanks, but ended up making my own. I wrapped with blue tape to get the exact circumference, layed tape out an divided into desired amount of teeth. I transferred marks to wood circles(2 clamped together), then useing my thinnest cutting wheel I got busy. I had drawn lines for depth of teeth and cut straight line across, then angled cutting wheel to cut from top of one line to the base of the next one, around.

I just had to do it really slow, had three other sets thrown in the scrap pile before I got a set I could live with. I just had to do small cuts around and around, nipping away to attempt evenly spaced teeth.

Matt

post-17116-0-86878900-1421500933.jpg

Sorry everyone, I forgot to include pics of windlass in place.

post-17116-0-26901800-1421504582_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-22605200-1421504596_thumb.jpg

Thank you George, and for everyone for the likes,

Did I read that you have a build in waiting?

Matt

Hi Matt:

You sure did. The MS Constitution as soon as I finish turning this apartment in a workshop of sorts. It's taking a little longer than I wanted, but in order to get everything stowed in a hurry when there's an upcoming building inspection, I needed to build my shop accordingly. Including a cabinet that looks like a cabinet, but breaks down to a rolling tool-stand for my band saw, drill press, and router table. Already have a design, just need to pick up the materials next month. Sometime in August or September I'm guessing for my build. Thanks for asking.

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Your windlass looks outstanding. Good craftsmanship!

mario

Thank You all...

Mario

My Builds....

Thank you Mario, it means a lot coming from a master craftsman like your self.

Matt