HMS Bounty Launch by mattsayers148 - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale 1:16 - SMALL

I see an easy solution to the problem, Matt ...  and it will also prove to be technically correct.

Take your sails and spars, a whole pile of rigging line and the blocks you made ...

Next, get a bottle (or two) of suitable fluid ...

Then, invite your navy mate over and have him solve the problem for both of us !!!

Simple, really.

:cheers:  

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Hey George,

Thank you for stamp of approval. I just figured I should finish the boat so that I can focus on all the little details.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Hey CaptainSteve,

Haha! Yeah neither one of us drink, maybe some tea and crumpets? I have this sneaking suspicion that he spent more time in the Asian brothels than studying seamanship!

Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Ah well, I guess we can't all choose model-ship building as our hobby ...

CaptainSteve

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

There's supposed to be a model ship in a museum over in Tillamook Oregon(on the Pacific coast)that my great grandfather built many, many years ago. Also my Grandpa(grandmas husband) helped build a dugout canoe when he was a child living on the Siletz Indian reservation(same coast about 100 miles south of Tillamook). That one is also displayed in a museum. I've only seen each one a couple times, but next time I need to take pictures. Maybe it's in the blood.

Matt

Thanks Monkeyman,

I have to give credit to the others in this forum. If it weren't for them, and a pesky squirrel problem, I'd have one boring, bland boat(say that five times really fast). Most everything has been based on many other masters before me. I just try and follow their footsteps.

Matt

Here are a couple of pictures of what a typical ships boat looked like when set up for useing the windlass for lifting a ships anchor.

post-17116-0-58293900-1422797503_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-51147200-1422795043_thumb.jpg

The difference between standing(tack to mast) and dipping(tack to bow) lugs. This model has dipping lug sails.

post-17116-0-71330500-1422797594_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-21248400-1422797612_thumb.jpg

These Images show how the sail is bent to the spars. Also the head earring configuration.

post-17116-0-08440100-1422798251_thumb.jpgpost-17116-0-97784400-1422798268_thumb.jpg

The rigging for a dipping sail was extremely simplistic with only the spar attached at the mast. Often time a boat of this size would have a standing main sail and a dipping sail for the other.

So it may seem to be that both sails on this boat were dipping lug sails. It was a bit of a process to "dip" the sail from one side to the other. Because of this, in severe weather many boats would have the sails on opposite sides, both being reefed. Only one sail would be used at a time, the other lowered. This way they could quickly use either sail depending on wind direction and heading. I got nothing done on my boat so I could find every bit of info on these sails.

This info taken in consideration, it would appear that the rigging set up described on the plans are actually accurate. This is a bit of a surprise to me, kinda shot down all the rigging plans I had in my head.

Edited by mattsayers148

Hey Buck,

Well I've got one of my sails bent the correct way, working on the second. Man I spent like 7 hrs researching the makeup of these sails. I had these sails all done in my head and now it's back to square one. I might just furl them now. Still thinking.

Matt

Here's my sails reattached, the "proper" way the info shows.

post-17116-0-89293400-1422808561_thumb.jpg

Nice piece o' research there, Matt.

Bit late for me as I've already added the grommets (and streaks of rusting water stains) to my sails.

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

I just had to go overboard...I felt better not knowing! Oh boy oh boy, my dreams are shattered.

Matt

Ya know Cathead, that's a good point. They say that "mans greatest fear is the unknown", maybe it's actually the fear of the known!

I decided to reef the sails...for now. They're high for now so I have a better view of the inside of the boat. There's something floating around in my head, just don't know what yet. At least now it's I'm my face all the time while I move on.

post-17116-0-29870800-1422853256_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for the likes.

After getting my 3.25X glasses, I was able to do the turning much better. After I did the five chisels, the three large slicks I had previously made looked like crap. So I remade them and gave them their own pouch. Also, I finished whipping my tiller, and yes, that's it for the whipping.

I'm currently working on the oarlocks(rowlocks), barrels and more tools.

post-17116-0-36409600-1422969773_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-78728500-1422969793_thumb.jpg

Thanks to everyone for all the likes.

So I finished my rigging...I think. I spent too much time think, so I grabbed my rope and let the squirrels out. As seen, I went with connecting lower corners of sail to a double block on the mast.

Then I ran the lines through two sets of single blocks and back to the rear mast thwart. I may change around the pulley setup a bit, but for now I think that's it.

Matt

post-17116-0-07159800-1423053416_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-56763900-1423053610_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-95611800-1423054494_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-39470600-1423054511_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys, I had to stop and realize I'm a modeler, not a sailor!

Matt

Nice rope work, Matt !!

I reckon your solution will be the way to go.

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hey CaptainSteve,

I just couldn't see how it would work itself out in my head, so I had to jump into the deep end and hope the squirrels would save me!

I think your idea of the buntlines would work just as well. In the one drawing it looks like the bunt line wraps from the mast area and loops underneath possibly up to the spar? If so that should gather up the sail as much as this way, just more in the middle. I just had seen some crackpot on YouTube making a sailboat in his backyard. He had 3 ropes to 3 pulleys, joined into one pull cord, it definitely looked sinkable!

Matt

I think the best way will be for me to do the same as you ... just hang a couple of blocks, start stringing away, and see where the squirrels wanna go.

(At least they have your map to follow, if they get lost !!)

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve

Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)

Hi Matt

Like your sails,i have just completed my sails for my Red Dragon Chinese junk it has taken me three attemps (thats three sets of

sails) nine in all i made before i got one set i liked.It is difficult to get info on junks in the kit it does not show the bolt rope

but i have decided to add the bolt rope as i think there would be one.love your workmanship.

Dearesr regards janet B

Hey CaptainSteve,

I'm tellin ya, them damn rigs! If I were still a drinking man, that'd be about a fifth of Yukon Jack to get em done! Get your rope n wax and crack open a cold one...or two...or three, and be the boat. Once you get a few lines going, it actually seems to go real fast(I stress "seems"). Good luck.

So I got off early today. I started at 4am, got home around 1pm...wait..that's not early! Anyways I decided to pull out the big nuts(for the squirrels!) and chip away at some more tools. The big ones called a goosewing axe.

Hey Janet,

Thank you. I'll check your build, I'm sure the sails are beautiful. My aunts name is Janet. What's funny is that in my endless search for info on the dipping lug sails, I kept getting directed to junk boats. I've always loved their sails and definitely have one in my future some day. So what are you going to do with the oops sails? Maybe make a scaled down model and reuse?

Hey Dave,

Did you know that Oregon is the largest supplier of hazel nuts in the world?(or filberts, depends who you're talking to) I'd definitely give them a go! Thing is they get real rowdy and tend to take over!

post-17116-0-66959300-1423103635_thumb.jpg

post-17116-0-34623500-1423103658_thumb.jpg

Hey George,

Them lil suckers are literally going nutz!