Queen Annes Revenge

Blackjack77

Hi, this is actually my first post on this forum. Been into ship/plane modeling for most of my life (mainly plastic), but I got into building wooden ship kits about 2 or 3 years ago. I've never scratch built before, but have been wanting to create a decent sized (26" to 28" from bow to stern) plank on bulkhead replica of Blackbeard's flagship, the Queen Anne's Revenge. I have a 1:60 HMS Endeavour Bark 1768 kit from Artesania Latina that I received from my father as a gift some years back but haven't built yet. This seems like it would be a good kit to start from and modify into the QAR. Does anyone have any thoughts on this or recommendations or warnings or anything? Also, I've had a devil of a time trying to find anything definitive on how the ship would have looked outside of the basic info (originally a British frigate built sometime in 1710 as HMS Concorde, and was eventually captured and became a French slave ship before finally being captured by Captain Ben Hornigold and turned over to his Quartermaster Edward Teach (Thatch), "Blackbeard", who renamed it QAR and made it the flagship of his 4 ship floatilla before running it aground in North Carolina. If anyone could point me in the right direction as far as plans or anything to help me out or has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Current build: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic - aftermarket PE Brass details from Tomsmodelworks and GMM  and wood deck from Scaledecks

On The Shelf: Revell 1/96 U.S.S Constitution (1976 issued kit) - aftermarket wood deck from Scaledecks

Revell Germany 1/350 Battleship Bismarck

AL San Francisco II

Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge (modified from AL HMS Endeavour Bark 1768 kit)

1:14 Capt. Quint's ORCA from JAWS (scratch-built static project from R/C Model plans)

Way in the Future: Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship U.S.S. Arizona

Trumpeter 1/200 Battleship U.S.S. Missouri

The only log we have is a scratch log:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3741-queen-annes-revenge-by-shipmodel-1710-136-scale/    Well, there is a ship in a bottle log and lots of "pirate ships".  

I would think that any small frigate from the time period would be a good start as at this point, no one knows what she looked like. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow, that link helps a ton. Thanks!

Edited by Blackjack77

Current build: Minicraft 1/350 Titanic - aftermarket PE Brass details from Tomsmodelworks and GMM  and wood deck from Scaledecks

On The Shelf: Revell 1/96 U.S.S Constitution (1976 issued kit) - aftermarket wood deck from Scaledecks

AL San Francisco II

Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge (modified from AL HMS Endeavour Bark 1768 kit)

1:14 Capt. Quint's ORCA from JAWS (scratch-built static project from R/C Model plans)

Jerseycity, I'd say that interest in pirate culture was at a frenzy from the early 2K's to 2k10 or 2k11 thanks to Disney's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films, but interest in pirates in general has been very strong as long as I can remember, and if you ask anyone to name a real-life pirate from history, 7 out of 10 (or more) are probably going to say Blackbeard (although I'm conviced some will first say Long John Silver or One-Eyed WIlly). That being said, of those people that say Blackbeard, most (if any) won't be able to tell you the name of his ship (or the names of any real-life pirate ships for that matter as most would probably name fictional ships like The Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman or real-life non pirate ships like The Bounty), despite the likely discovery of the wreck of the QAR in 1996 or the years of relic recovery and museum exhibition of those artifacts.

In fact, most people who dont already have a vested interest in historical sailing vessels probably didnt even know the name of Blackbeards ship until they saw the 4th PotC film, and have probably since forgotten the name of the ship.

The problem that really arises is that no one actually has an accurate description of the appearance of the ship outside of the fact that it was originally a British Frigate built in 1710 known as the Concorde which can only give a vague idea of what she might've looked like. Then you have to take into account modifications done to the ship by the French and then finally by Teach's crew. I've read varying reports that Teach did nothing to the ship whatsoever (as reported in 'A General History of the Pyrates'), to reports that said he modified the ship to carry as many as 26 additional guns (added to the 14 guns she was rumored to already have), but there's really no way of actually knowing, which means that anyone could probably just build an early 18th century British frigate, modify some extra gunports and guns and slap Blackbeards colors on her and call it the QAR. Although I think it'd be great for a reputable company to put a kit out there, as long as it does the legendary ship justice and is as historically accurate as it can be made based on the sparse evidence that we have avilable on it.

AL San Francisco II

stuff I have seen in documentary shows on pirates that I thought should be a good guide to the real ships were this:

1) most wanted a fast ship

2) shallow - good for escape thru reefs that a larger warship would run aground on and good for hiding in coves

3) they did not want to sink the ship , just to disable it so firing large cannon at the hull would be foolish, small shot and chain shot at the masts and rigging seem like the better option.

4) cut away extra stuff, make the decks as clear as you can to make it easy to board and plunder and make off with the goods.

Holding at Rigging stage :

MS Bluenose 1:64, rigging and finish work

Building Hull :

MS Fair American 1:48

In the yard:  18th Century Longboat, Model Shipways Kit

Done: AL Bounty Jolly Boat

Jerseycity, I'd say that interest in pirate culture was at a frenzy from the early 2K's to 2k10 or 2k11 thanks to Disney's 'Pirates of the Caribbean' films, but interest in pirates in general has been very strong as long as I can remember, and if you ask anyone to name a real-life pirate from history, 7 out of 10 (or more) are probably going to say Blackbeard (although I'm conviced some will first say Long John Silver or One-Eyed WIlly). That being said, of those people that say Blackbeard, most (if any) won't be able to tell you the name of his ship (or the names of any real-life pirate ships for that matter as most would probably name fictional ships like The Black Pearl or the Flying Dutchman or real-life non pirate ships like The Bounty), despite the likely discovery of the wreck of the QAR in 1996 or the years of relic recovery and museum exhibition of those artifacts.

In fact, most people who dont already have a vested interest in historical sailing vessels probably didnt even know the name of Blackbeards ship until they saw the 4th PotC film, and have probably since forgotten the name of the ship.

The problem that really arises is that no one actually has an accurate description of the appearance of the ship outside of the fact that it was originally a British Frigate built in 1710 known as the Concorde which can only give a vague idea of what she might've looked like. Then you have to take into account modifications done to the ship by the French and then finally by Teach's crew. I've read varying reports that Teach did nothing to the ship whatsoever (as reported in 'A General History of the Pyrates'), to reports that said he modified the ship to carry as many as 26 additional guns (added to the 14 guns she was rumored to already have), but there's really no way of actually knowing, which means that anyone could probably just build an early 18th century British frigate, modify some extra gunports and guns and slap Blackbeards colors on her and call it the QAR. Although I think it'd be great for a reputable company to put a kit out there, as long as it does the legendary ship justice and is as historically accurate as it can be made based on the sparse evidence that we have avilable on it.

Concorde was not English but French, built as a privateer for the War of the Spanish Succession (Queen Anne's War) by a slave trading dynasty in Nantes and adapted (probably minimally) for slaving when peace came. Documentary evidence supports this and also indicates it was about 200-300 tons and was pierced for 20 guns on the main deck, with other guns on the forecastle and quarterdeck. Blackbeard apparently added weapons - numbers not know but maybe taking the total to more than 40 (which more than likely included swivels). Archaeological evidence supports the French origin, specifically some plank fastening patterns, the carrying of the garboard strake over the sternpost beyond the rabbet to its after face, and the spacing of draft marks at intervals corresponding to French rather than English feet. From this we can conclude that a good basis for extrapolating its appearance would be a contemporary (i.e. 1690-1710) French privateer or small frigate. One valid starting point would be the draft of the Advice Prize, a French privateer armed with 18 guns taken into the Royal Navy in 1704, whose take-off draft is extant at NMM (plan 6186). Jean Boudriot also has useful material for small French frigates from the first quarter of the 18th century in his books, Fregate Marine de France 1650-1850 and Fregate Legere L'Aurore - 1697. Overall, in fact, we do have some sound basis for creating a reasonable representation while acknowledging that insufficient archaeological remains have survived to generate an accurate reconstruction.

• 1 month later...

Was not the Whydah previously discovered off the American coast in the 1980's. She went down in 1717. This was Samual Bellamy's ship.

The QHR would probably have been classed as a Corvette if French. England never had frigates at that date, more likely a sixth rate. Would be more interesting than a frigate, in my opinion.

Edited by Thunder

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: