I bought this book as a reference to my current project, but have to say, it is a delight to read from many views.  It is based on the Lenox (70 gun)  which was the first of the 30 ship building program of 1677.  Anyone interested in the construction of ships from the late 17th century into the 18th century would be extremely happy to have this book as a reference and for a very interesting read in general. 

Richard Endsor has provided a great deal of history, his own drawings and paintings, many drawings by Willem Van de Veld the Elder and others, photos and more.  Richard was educated as an engineer and his attention to detail inherent with most engineers shows through, but his talent as an artist is something not to be missed.

I can go on and on but suffice it to say that I  am extremely pleased to have this in my library.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I agree with your opinion of this book, Allan. Did you know there is a Lenox Project to raise funds for building a replica of her on the site where the original was built? See:

www.buildthelenox.org

Richard Endsor is involved in this, naturally!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

I agree as well!  I have this book on my shelf, and it is a favorite.  The amount of information provided is outstanding including things like documentation of the productivity of the shipwrights in the yard, to a list of items needed to fit out the vessel.  A treasure to look at with all of the illustrations, and to read with all of the information provided.

Hi Jason

I agree with your comments about Richard's books and plans.  In fact, I have built the Lennox using Richard's plans.  Photos are provided in the Gallery as well as a build log in the Scratch section.  Pls see links below if you're interested.

All the best

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

I've received this book as a Christmas gift.  It truly is amazing.  

It contains a wealth of information about that ship, along with beautiful plans in scale 1/72.

This book is a "must have" in every enthousiast library.

Chris

Current builds :    

On hold :

IJN Yamato by DeAgostini - 1/250

Completed builds :

Bermuda boat Corsair (scratch)

President by Sergal - 1/60

Hi Duff

No, the plans were not separate.

They're in the book itself. (the foldable pages, the book cover and the body sections on one of the first pages in the book.)  

Chris

Current builds :    

On hold :

IJN Yamato by DeAgostini - 1/250

Completed builds :

Bermuda boat Corsair (scratch)

President by Sergal - 1/60