Yacht America by Leo-zd 1:200 - SMALL - Finished

I think that nobody on this forum need the presentation of the original, of "the mother of regatta's boats" the .
Maybe the best description was the dialogue between the Queen and the Commodore oduring the regatta around the Isle of Wight, August, 22, 1851:

Queen Victoria: Who is the first,

Commodore:"America, your Majesty."

Queen Victoria: Who is the second,

Commodore:"There is no second, your Majesty."

As the other models, in small scale 1:200, reduced Mamoli drawings in 1:66 , in fact i had the complete kit, i made it an the big one was a marriage gift for one cousin :)

The model was made with complete double planking, second planking with walnut 1*1mm, the deck is also some light wood, strips 1*1mm.

As in that time (before internet) I hadn't to many references, but honestly I didn't searched to much, i decided to put the table (improbable elliptic shape :/ ) in the "salon" undo the big windowed portion, then on the table put the chart , square/triangle and the other "useful" parts :) )
Honestly I was convinced that it could't be visible, which is right, without lens you could't see nothing but some colored, a bit bigger, dust :)

On all models so on this on the keel I made two small holes and put inside pieces of  small piles (part of medic needles or similar ) so for the support later i use small profiles with pieces of steel rods fitting in that pipes. The rods are slightly curved so for put in or out is needed some force, nothing extra but enough to hold firmly together the support and the model with simply possibility to separate.

On the last photo are the three models, Flying Fish and America in 1:200 and Shenandoah in 1:100
as a comparison of dimensions

Also in this model is evident the out scale of elements  but I hadn't the patience nor the materials and tools to made it in scale.

To finish the model I have to arrange the rigging and the sails which I usually make from the paper which could be find inside  shoes or cloth boxes, also the support has to be made.

post-1426-0-32825800-1420799824_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-91779900-1420799824_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-76577900-1420799825_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-32678800-1420799826_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-84687700-1420799826_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-42977700-1420799827_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-09791200-1420799828_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-62562200-1420799828_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-12515800-1420799829_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-20690500-1420799860_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-75974200-1420799860_thumb.jpg

post-1426-0-36679500-1420800438_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leo-zd

Nice work Leo! Great detail and character.

You're ccertainly a very skilled and prolific builder. Out of interest, how long on average would your ships take to build? Mine often take me ages, 12 mths or more, so I often think I'm a slow coach.

Keep the photos coming!

Cheers

Patrick

Thk all :)

Patrick unfortunately or maybe lucky but all models were done in long time (the finished and unfinished).
As the life and especially job force us to be on hour/minute/seconds in modeling i have no time..
I start the model, in fact I like forms of hulls :D , some time works a lot in short time and than left that model and start other..
Maybe it looks strange (mad) but probably I am interested more in the phase of constructing that  when is finished, sometimes i feel as I don't wont to finish (one kind of Newer ending story !?!?)
Generally the hulls finish fast but the problem is that when arrive in phase of finishing I am not sure that I chosen the best solution and I start to think.. look... I take the model in hand and spent a lot of time without nothing done... but I am not nervous about it,  this phase relax me....
Maybe the only models I done fast was America in scale 1/66 and Shenandoah in scale 1:50 both from kits and both made as a gifts for parents, but I didn't enjoyed that constructions one third as I enjoy my big little boats.

Look, the "problem" is also the internet :D forums and FB :P
In 90ties without internet, after the dinner the kitchen table was mine and the TV comand wife's :D and the shipyard started.
Today, from one side Internet and forums like this help enormously, today is easy and simply to procure any drawing, information or whatsoever you need, want imaginable   but.. from the other side it's the true that we spent many time on it :D

Look, the "problem" is also the internet :D forums and FB :P

In 90ties without internet, after the dinner the kitchen table was mine and the TV comand wife's :D and the shipyard started.

Today, from one side Internet and forums like this help enormously, today is easy and simply to procure any drawing, information or whatsoever you need, want imaginable   but.. from the other side it's the true that we spent many time on it :D

True, very true!  I have the same problem as well.  The Internet is a double-edged sword; with it's good points and its bad points!  I spend too much time on it, my wife does the same and so do the kids....oh well...