bending planks on an old tin can

i was looking for a cheap solution for bending planks. electric plank bender is too expensive for me (on very tight budget at the moment). cutting the planks with the hand tool is without the chance for me, im too clumsy and have wasted too many already.

so i resurected the old method of bending, by heat.

all i needed was an empty tin, tea candle light and cloth peg.

tin must be of small diameter, so it gets hot quickly, also allows you to do tighter curves.

planks can be bent in many ways, lateraly too. basically, with a bit of patience, you can twist the plank without breaking it...

post-144-0-64753500-1362428870_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-20132400-1362428904_thumb.jpg

Edited by maaaslo

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

Thumbs up for this one!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I love it also.

It is a bit like relaxing your limbs in a sauna versus a steam bath. 

If I could only have a massage and twist my limbs into the right shape again!

That would take more than a old coffee can and a candle, I am afraid. 

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

just be carefull guys, ive burned my fingertip quite badly that day. one would never beleive how hot it can get...  :P 

and just to clear any confusion, it is not my idea, i just pulled it out as there is not enough talk about plank bending. somebody have mentioned it even here, i just cannot find it at the moment. he also used it combined with steam iron, i found it is not necessary as heat given by candle light is enough to soften up the wood.

Pavol stands for Paul, Pablo, Paolo etc. Please do not try to pronounce it, just call me Pav...

i bend it dry.it takes a little longer and at least your timber doesnt need to be dried prior to glueing it onto the frames...