Scottish Maid by mrangus - Artesania Latina - first build

That was some good "out-of-the-box" thinking in making the rings Robb. I think cleats or bolts would depend on whether or not the lines being attached to them are "tarred" standing rigging, or running rigging. Cleats would be for the running or working lines. Bolts would be for standing rigging or a place where a hook would go, like for train-tackle on the cannon carriages.

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Started on the rigging - worked on the bowsprit first. I did the chain first, and then created the blocks for the bowsprit stays that are attached to the hull just below the catheads. Don't have a clear understanding yet how it works but I'll cheat and look at other builds (i.e. Jesse's).

Creating the seizing for the deadeye at the end of the chain was interesting. I created a lovely seizing (below) and then realized I had to move it down to wrap the end of the lanyard. It didn't come out the way I hoped but I think it looks ok. I added some quick dry CA and got a pretty good simulation of the bend of the rope and lanyard due to the chain weight. I think I'll leave as-is.

post-4074-0-59766900-1441506211_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-05764600-1441506213_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-04556900-1441506214_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-62093000-1441506232_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-00797500-1441506234_thumb.jpg

Looking awesome Robb!

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Rigging is challenging.

Especially when you don't know what you're doing. I've taken many back/forward steps this week though I haven't had much time to work on the ship. But it's been lesson learned after lesson learned....

I splurged for Chuck's serving machine. The device is great - it's amazing how quickly a rope can be served and looking good. Much less intimidating now to serve all the ends of the lines etc and comes out looking real nice. The challenge I ran into was seizing lines that were served. It's a bit trickier because the seizing line doesn't slide up/down the rope being seized very nicely. It's like trying to move a string over a screw.

After several agonizingly frustrating tries to seize the bowsprit rigging line, I got it. The rest of the rigging went a little easier, just tricky working with such fine lines. I had put cleats in the ship to tie down the running lines, and ran through the blocks, looked pretty good! I had made one error on the starboard side, where I forgot to tie the running line to the block - but I found a workaround... I tied a knot in the running line and threaded it through the lower sheave hole on the block. But then I took a picture looking at the bow of the boat and realized that portside used the wrong anchor block attached to the boat. So.... after all that work... I cut it all off and started over.

Rigging is challenging.

post-4074-0-59913600-1442197975_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-46362500-1442197996_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-96027100-1442198014_thumb.jpg

And here we are with rigging fixed. That cost me about 2 1/2 hours.... :)

One question/thought on the anchor setup. In the model instructions, the picture of the anchor up has the anchor ring tied to the double block used for hoisting. It doen't make sense. Wouldn't some kind of hook be used to get the anchor once coming out of the water after hoisted up? What does that look like?

post-4074-0-46780600-1442198499_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-64226800-1442198500_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-73213200-1442198501_thumb.jpg

Rigging is one of the most challenging things to do on these from what I've been seeing. When I was young I rigged 3 plastic ships and didn't care about serving and seizing lines, but having said that, I still found taking my time, and doing sometimes just one line at a time, reduced my frustration levels. Spent 6 months just rigging the Cutty, but it ended up still looking pretty nice, considering I didn't really know what the heck I was doing.  :rolleyes:  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Exciting times Robb! I've been getting a little practice with rigging my cannons, but my day will come. I'll be glued to your build, cheering you on. Looks like your off to a great start and looking great!

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Thanks George and Matt for the comments. George - I agree rigging can be very challenging - but I found second time I did everything, it all made a little more sense. And I got the work done a lot quicker. Matt, I'm sure you will exceed your expectations if your work thus far is any indication of how the rigging will turn out.

Jesse - if you're reading this, there's one picture (on the 20th page of your blog) that helped me understand clearly how the bowsprit was rigged. Thanks! One question for you - did it bother you that the double block (used to hoist the anchor) was tied to the anchor ring? It makes no sense to me - I would think it would be hooked onto the anchor in some fashion. otherwise when the anchor is dropped, the lines have to come out of the block... I don't get it.

This was one of the many things about this kit & its instructions that I wasn't sure about. I often wondered as I did this build just how much of it was wrong. I should have stopped & asked more questions I guess. I wonder if maybe there should be a hook involved here? No one said anything about it when I posted the pictures.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Excellent work Robb! I love the way the hook looks.

That looks better Robb. I went & looked at mine when you asked about that & to my shock my port side anchor is missing! It came off the ring somehow. When I get/make a new anchor I will probably re-do mine like you just did.

Jeese

Edited by JesseLee

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've been away and busy with work... also a bit of bad news, we had to put Angus down last weekend, he was 12 1/2 and a good dog but it was time.

I started up again on the rigging, and of course ran into problems. Rigging is definitely a test of patience. I've finished the anchors and started on the bowsprit rigging....

post-4074-0-49443000-1444055819_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-45283200-1444055821_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-36234600-1444055823_thumb.jpg

Sorry about Angus. I too have lost a few. No better friend than a man dog.

Sorry to hear about Angus Robb.  I think most of us have all been there one time or another. Just like losing a member of the family, it's never easy.  :(

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Excellent start on the rigging Robb. Sorry for your loss of Angus. I hope the 12 1/2 years of joy helps you get through this sad time.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't worked much on the boat these days - last few days I began prepping and serving the shroud lines. I got Chuck's server tool which works great and saves a ton of time - still takes time though!

I'm serving the outer lines all the way down to the deadeye as well. Stay tuned for pics should get them up this weekend.

Matt - thanks for your thoughts. Very kind.

Way to go Robb! Your serving looks great!

Yes it does!

I don't know if it's patience or insanity........

Ready for the lanyards. How are they started? tie a knot in the rope and start threading?

One of the shroud lines came up a little short. Will have to do as I don't feel it's worth the effort to take the served line off and re-do, that's a lot of work and might screw up the rest of the lines.

post-4074-0-45213100-1446295926_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-16579700-1446295928_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-98166200-1446295928_thumb.jpg