Scottish Maid by mrangus - Artesania Latina - first build

Great job Robb! Here's a pic that may help.

post-17116-0-55553400-1446298547_thumb.jpeg

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Very nice Robb!

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

That looks good Robb

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice Job! I think it looks great! :)

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

I don't think they were "completely" served, if served at all Robb. The lines that have a "mouse" on them would be at least partly served I believe. It might be worth having a look at some museum replicas if you can find them. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

It really looks nice and crisp, really coming together

Very well done Robb! Looks fantastic!

Thanks Don and Matt! I'm quite pleased with how good the served lines look especially where they hook around masts etc. Unfortunately I've gotten too low on my dark brown stays rigging and will have to get more.... I probably should've used a different color (like white) for the shrouds fpr them to stand out a little more but I went with Chuck's rope... I did go with larger rope (than the lines I use for the seizing) and you can tell somewhat in the closeups.

To put sails on or not to put sails on... my daughter wants me to - but with all this rigging I'm thinking it's going to hide a lot of the detail. is furling sails worth the effort? Do you have to build the sails like you typically do and then furl? I haven't seen much on this subject in the areas I've poked around.....

Nothing wrong with furled sails.  To make the bundle closer to scale just remove half the sail and furl it.  Experiment and take a look at ships with their furled sails to get an idea for what you are going to do.

David B

Here's a link that may help in deciding the direction for your sails. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3944-landlubber-mikes-technique-for-furled-sails/

Another milestone met...

I got all the shrouds in place. spent the time to serve and seize the lines bases on some examples that looked nice, don't know how accurate it is, but I'm satisfied with the way they look. One issue I keep running into is how the top deadeye rotates a bit when I tighten up the lanyards. I couldn't figure out the physics of why - so I just twisted them a bit until they looked reasonable.

On to the lines that the sails are on (stays?). I believe that they are supposed to all be served but I'm not going to do that. I will only serve the ends that tie to the mast/jib/etc. It's also a puzzle on how to add the lines to get everything "tight'.

Matt and David thanks for the ideas on the furled sails. I think I might head in that direction. It still feels far away.....

post-4074-0-72955900-1447907647_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-95061600-1447907673_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-82851000-1447907674_thumb.jpg

post-4074-0-19187800-1447907687_thumb.jpg

Once again, looks great Robb! What I'm doing to deal with getting everything "tight" is I'm not tightening any of the lanyards until all of the standing rigging is in place. Then I can systematically "tighten" the lanyards and true up the masts.

As for the twisting of the top deadeyes, for me it came from the throat whipping. I had to crank down while doing the throat. Then push the whipping down while pulling up the tail end. Then do the straight whipping, all the while keeping the deadeye straight.

Looking good Robb. I had the same problem with the twisting.

Matt, thanks for the advice about the throat whipping.

Jesse

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thanks Greg and Matt!

Matt - it's funny now that you described, very simply, the process you are using, it makes complete sense. Use the lanyards for what they were intended.... what a concept! Oh well too late for my boat (because I'm NOT going to undo and re-do all the shrouds! :) ) It's the instructions that came with the boat.... they have pictures of rigging in successive order and first step is shroud rigging. I remember from Jesse's blog that he ran into a heck of a time keeping everything tight, and shared a trick of wetting down the ropes and blowdrying them (which I may resort to after all standing rigging is in-place.) Your way makes a lot of sense.

Jesse I just saw your post after I wrote, it had gone onto the next page and I missed. Thanks for the note, as I said before I'll be using the hairdryer to get those lines a bit tighter... they're a tad loose now...

I'll also be working off your examples of the yards soon enough, once the stays are in place. I'm thinking of furling the sails - at least some of them. Did you serve the stays for the jib sails? or just the ends where they are attached?

Since I didn't have a serving machine I did as little of it as possible. I think I wanted to do the whole line but I just did the ends because it takes so long to do it by hand.

Jesse

Beautiful!

Good work!

What Matt and Jesse said!  

Lovely work!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Very neat and tidy rigging work. Looks uniform. Well done. I especially like the line on the port side cathead how it droops

down.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard