Hello all. Further to my last post to Jerry I wonder if someone could help me with this bow rail thingy.  (my name, not the proper one)  it is the bit that goes in an arc on the top of the vertical bit up to where the sides meet at the front. It should be 5 mm across by 1 mm deep.   My question is, is this generally done by bending one piece? if so how on earth, I've tried all ways.  If it is done in smaller pieces, how are they arranged on real ships so I dont make it look daft.  I've searched the net for clues but to no avail.  Thanks.  Rob.

post-5699-0-90503200-1429385091_thumb.jpg

Hi Rob,

is this generally done by bending one piece? if so how on earth, I've tried all ways.  If it is done in smaller pieces, how are they arranged on real ships so I dont make it look daft.

It's made in at least two sections per side. Check out THIS LINK to my build log of HMS Vulture for the idea.

You will need some wide stock to cut it from, probably not supplied in the kit.

:cheers:  Danny

Thanks very much, this clear now. I have a few wider bits of walnut so i'll have a go. Once again. Thankyou. Rob.

Rob, you're welcome. The link I sent you went to the wrong post. Scroll up the page to the previous one and you'll get some better pics. I've changed the link in my last post to point to the right one.

Thanks , I did scroll up and see them. If I'd have had to guess I would have have just butted them without that 'lock' cut out piece, so this info is great!

I would have have just butted them without that 'lock' cut out piece

Rob, that's known as a Scarph (or Scarf) Joint. They are used in many places on a ship instead of butt joins (not in hull planking though).

Just to let anybody who may be interested, know, I'm now on my fifth planking attempt and I think I may have got it this time! I found it impossible to get the planks perfectly butted no matter what I did, even burnishing the wood didn't look perfect as there are so many joints which can be seen at once. The slightest fault jumps straight out, no matter how small. This time I chamfered the edges of each plank before fitting. This gives a caulked effect (or that's what I'm telling myself) and the bigger gaps disguise any imperfections. So far.