Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DonnRW

Next Model

Within the next couple of months I will be finishing the Bounty (Cauldercraft), so I am beginning to think about my next build. I am leaning toward building the Agamemnon (Cauldercraft). I suppose I am leaning toward the Cauldercraft kit due to such a good experience with the Bounty. That said, those of you with more experience building kits from various manufacturers may have a more informed suggestion. Many Thanks.

WackoWolf likes this

If you want to stay with Caldercraft I'd recommend the bomb vessel Granado. A little less complex and smaller than Agamemnon. My build log is in my signature. I made a number of changes to the kit, including substituting boxwood for the hull planking. Bob "rafine" has just completed a very nice build of her as well, if you'd like to see another example of what can be done with the kit. It's a neat looking vessel, with just enough complexity and decoration. Highly recommended.

rafine, Canute and MEDDO like this

Joe, thank you for both your response and your recommendation. I hadn't considered the Granado, but I plan to look at with a renewed perspective. Again, thank you!

Canute and jwvolz like this

Thank you Michael, I did visit "Bob's build" and was rewarded with some very useful information and pictures of a beautiful ship that was very skillfully built. Donn

mtaylor likes this

After doing Occre ( 4 kits), Al (3 kits), Caldercraft ( 1) kit, Amati 1 Kit ( non boat), Corel ( 1) not finished cause short supplied rigging.) , Panart (1) Personally I rate them

No 1 Caldercraft for details, parts & Spare wood and great plans, instruction on older kits so so) Good value

No 2 Amati ( the kit was the stagecoach, but from what I have see of their other products, very well done, quality parts from the 'Victory' range)

No 3 Occre for wood & good Doco, but not as detailed as Caldercraft. Good value for money , but not as nice as Caldercraft. Spanish / English translations

No 4 AL . Just enough wood and average or poor instructions / plans badly translated from Italian to english Good value but you get what you pay for

No 5 Corel ( insufficient material given the pricing, not acceptable). Expensive for what you get

No 6 Panart ( Very poor instructions, plans in italian ) Good value, need attention to detail required from supplier, info wrong or misleading at times.

Cant comment on other supplies as not tried.

If you built the bounty you should have no issues with any kit.

Go for what you want, we all have differing opinions and they all have faults that need to be overcome.

mtaylor and Canute like this