Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Ekis

  • Birthday 01/11/1966

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location

Recent Profile Visitors

225 profile views
  1. The continuation of the installation of the sails with the 2 jaws. The first balustrade has been equipped. I still have 2 or 3 things to do or test ...
  2. Thx Yves, I wanted a design a little different from the usual Endeavour of 1934! 😁
  3. Well, here I am at rigging rigging and sails! Everything is matte black or shiny. The turnbuckles are a personal addition: this Endeavor deserves better than knots ... To create the sails, I wanted a canvas that reminds me of the current carbon of tall ships ... After looking everywhere, I found a coated canvas that was nothing but a costume travel bag ... I completely dislodged it, then cut and edged with a semi-matte cloth sticker to make the headline. Then decor and structure with gray piping with brass wire to replace the battens of the mainsail. The sails are "sewn" on the mast, the boom and the guy wires. I have also added amounts for the metal rope hoop to come.
  4. The following: the deck is equipped! It was not easy. It was necessary to compromise between the equipment provided and some improvements ... But overall, this deck is busy! For example, where a single brass wire was provided for the 4 step boards along the edges, I replaced with stained wood; Or the coachroof that was lifted to receive a roof more in agreement with the deck, finally the pulleys that are black with a copper reminder to push a little the luxury of this boat. Now, the rigging and its huge sails!
  5. I arrived at the end of the deck ! This is the raw version before light protection and retouching paint on the edges. It's still a crazy job to do ...
  6. The deck of Endeavour is moving slowly! I'm not very often on it right now. And then, we must recognize that lathing and the method chosen make it a crazy job ... Linden slats in 1x2mm with walnut joints of 0.5x1mm placed on the edge! And why be simple when it can be complicated: I added islands in 1x1 under each important piece of equipment to come (roof, crew descents, etc ...). Finally, I did not want kit portholes that look like round head rivets over the deck. So I opted for brass washers, filled with glazing (a rhodoïds below, transparent resin to fill the central thickness). And suddenly, you have to dress with slats around everyone ... 🆒 It must be carefully equalized with an X-Acto blade (no sanding). And when everything is laid, it will be necessary to go to the scraper gently, then a hard coat with a cloth to keep realism ... 😛 So, here we are :
  7. I advanced a little on this J class. First the support after those made on the shipyards (tinted and aged to contrast with the new and very smooth side of the boat). He replaces that of Amati (left) that I find ugly ... Then the hull is finished, sanded, passed with a varnish, repointed (2 times). Then painting: at least 4 or 5 layers to have this gradient from blue to black towards the keel. The mast and the boom are made, but not painted. Next step, the lathing of the deck ... A long time to pass on! 🆒
  8. I wanted to close this hull before leaving a few days: it's done! After, I will finish the stern with a lathing diagonally, and the rudder that will finish the refined line of this hull ... Then comes the moment of slight touch-ups to the wood-pulp (could not do better ...), then fade, then the deck, and painting the hull.
  9. It's been a while since I started this boat, but I'm moving much more slowly than usual... It's summer, I have things to do outside the model. This is the 1934 J-class sailboat Endeavour, America's Cup challenger. An elegant sailboat with very pure lines, a design made for the race! The kit is from Amati 1:80, plank-on-frame construction, classic. Well, as usual, I will not stick to the stuff recommended in the box in terms of colors or furnishings ...: ds: I will still do as I feel, and I have some ideas! The kit is simple, even simplistic on deck elements in particular: I will have to review all that. So, for now, it's about making a hull about right. I'm only here:
  10. This kit looks very good! I do not know this manufacturer ... Technell does not have a website? Do they have other kits? Where can we see their products?
  11. Swedish type gunboat of 1801 The Korabel Master Kit is 1:72 scale.
  12. Hello. Is this kit already available in France for sale with sewn sails and pearwood hull with imitation treenails?
  13. And here are the final photos of this little boat. A really nice kit to build!

About us

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research

SSL Secured

Your security is important for us so this Website is SSL-Secured

NRG Mailing Address

Nautical Research Guild
237 South Lincoln Street
Westmont IL, 60559-1917

About the NRG

If you enjoy building ship models that are historically accurate as well as beautiful, then The Nautical Research Guild (NRG) is just right for you.

The Guild is a non-profit educational organization whose mission is to “Advance Ship Modeling Through Research”. We provide support to our members in their efforts to raise the quality of their model ships.

The Nautical Research Guild has published our world-renowned quarterly magazine, The Nautical Research Journal, since 1955. The pages of the Journal are full of articles by accomplished ship modelers who show you how they create those exquisite details on their models, and by maritime historians who show you the correct details to build. The Journal is available in both print and digital editions. Go to the NRG web site (www.thenrg.org) to download a complimentary digital copy of the Journal. The NRG also publishes plan sets, books and compilations of back issues of the Journal and the former Ships in Scale and Model Ship Builder magazines.

Our Emblem

Modelshipworld - Advancing Ship Modeling through Research
  • Create New...