Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Nils, Thank you for sharing your workshop. I wish you and your family a happy holiday season. Steve
  2. Nils, Your work is an ongoing feast for the eyes, made even more wonderful by your creativity with what appears to be all hand labor with a minimal set of tools. You've probably done it before but would you mind sharing what, if any power tools you use and what are your favorite hand tools? Thank you Steve
  3. Denis, Best wishes on a successful build. Here's some little side stories. My father in law flew in B-17s and was shot down over Germany, ending up in a prison camp. One morning they woke up and discovered their captors had abandoned the camp and left the gate open. They debated whether to leave but decided to stay until friendly troops arrived, figuring they would be safer there than running around in the woods with a war going on. My dad served on a bomber base outside London and one of his choice duties was to bring new flying crews into London to see the sights. During one visit he met my mom in Covent Garden which had been turned into a dance hall for GIs. Build it proud for them and for all those who served. I'm sure you will do it justice. Steve
  4. Carl, Please let your friend know we are praying for them. Remember to take a break from life now and then for some shipbuilding therapy. Steve
  5. Carl, Thanks for sailing along on the journey. I have thoroughly enjoyed your company, feedback and kind remarks. In the right order they went overall view, then bow to stern. Another lesson learned😉 Steve
  6. The Zebulon B. Vance was a Liberty Ship that was first refitted as a hospital ship under the name John J. Meany and then converted to a personnel carrier with the Vance name restored to ferry British war brides to the U.S. after the war. My mother was on the first war bride voyage.
  7. Suggest viewing from last to first image. They uploaded in reverse order. Thanks for stopping by. Steve
  8. Lou, the waterline location came from the kit instructions. The distance between numbers on the model is approximately 1/8" (1 scale foot) resulting from experimenting with row spacing in the word processing software. Those two together gave me 14 scale feet from near the hull bottom to the waterline. When I was drawing the waterline it didn't occur to me to look at photo 1 - I was more focused on the discrepancy between the waterline location shown in the model instructions and the model side view on the full size drawing. As to why the Meany shows the boot at 22 feet while the Vance was painted at 10 feet, who knows? Maybe when they added the superstructure, the air conditioning, all the hospital rooms and equipment the ship sat lower in the water. It didn't seem to make sense to have a strip of depth markings that are very close to a scale 30 feet high and then put the one foot mark someplace other than near the bottom of the ship, and since the model sailed well sitting at the painted waterline I let the 14 foot marker lay where it fell. One justification is that the Vance in war bride mode was closer to the Meany configuration than to the Vance as a liberty ship so being off two feet (14 vs 16 ft) where the ship sets in the water seems a reasonable compromise, even if the Meany and war bride Vance boot tops don't line up. Now there's some confusion and arbitrariness! Thanks for caring. I hope you are feeling better. I'm going in for the first of two carpal tunnel hand surgeries next month to try to keep these old parts working. Steve
  9. Denis, So much great detail in such a small space - very impressive. The pictures are very sharp without the lens smudge. Thanks for sharing and making the build entertaining. Steve
  10. Andrew, It's coming along very nicely. The extra detail in the binnacle looks sharp. Steve
  11. To those who gave likes, thank you and thanks for stopping by. Carl, I was actually looking at the Vance in her John J. Meany hospital mode (see below) when I was trying to figure out how to align the numbers to the hull. Looking at it now I see the numbers are horizontal but the alignment is on an angle. That would be an interesting experiment in a word processor. In any event I ended up with neither fish nor fowl since the strip of numbers isn't vertical nor does it perfectly align with the bow 🙄. At least the name is pretty straight. Maybe I'll have better luck next time. The print shop said they had to go to one of their other locations because it was the only one with a printer that used white ink on waterslide decal paper. I read about such printers but didn't know they are still around. Maybe they would ship overseas. Steve
  12. To those who gave likes, thank you and thanks for stopping by. Denis, thanks for your kind comments. I'm guessing the printer can make anything you send them into a waterslide decal. I made the name and numbers in MS Word and saved the file as a pdf, then emailed that to the printer. I used black for the text so I could see it and asked them to change the color to white. Roman numerals are just a bunch of letters (I - V - X - M - C) so that should be easy. For the numbers I set the alignment to Right Justified so they would line up along the right edge and experimented with row spacing until I got something that was close to a scale one foot between numbers. I also included two different size names so I could have a choice. It was all on one sheet of paper. Steve
  13. Thanks Jack. The nice thing is the numbers are on a single strip, as is the full Vance name. Trim, wet, slide, done. I did the layout in MS Word and experimented with the row spacing for the numbers so they are about a scale foot apart. Steve
  • Create New...