Jump to content

Bill Brown

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About Bill Brown

  • Birthday 09/26/1960

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Allentown , New Jersey
  • Interests
    Ship Modeling, Boating, Fishing, and Painting

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. You do such beautiful work Ken. Outstanding craftsmanship! Looking forward to seeing this in person at some point soon I hope. Bill
  2. With the hull shaped to the station profiles and the chine marked, I turned my attention to the stem and keel. The stem and keel will be solid cherry and I will simulate the keel along the length with a narrow cherry plank. I want these solid cherry pieces to also provide a rabbit for the planking. In the picture below you can see both the keel and stem glued to the poplar hull. The picture also shows that I have lined the hull. I was able to decipher from a picture on the internet, of an actual 26 footer, that there were 3 planks between the chine and keel
  3. You might consider joining a ship model club. I am with the Ship Model Society of New Jersey and we are always looking for new members. We have folks in our club from Brooklyn, Staten Island, and even Weschester and Rockland. But there are other clubs as well. We meet at the Roseland Library right off Rt 280 but lately we have been meeting virtually and would like to continue with that capability even after we can meet again in person. If you are interested, PM me and I will make sure you get an invite to our next virtual meeting which will be the 4th Tuesday in February.
  4. Welcome Michael, I just sent you a link to tonight’s Ship Model Society of New Jersey January meeting. I hope you can attend. I also built the Eastport Pinky known as the Yankee Hero. It was a great kit and I enjoyed the build very much. I look forward to your build log and also hope you will consider joining our club. Bill SMSNJ
  5. Thanks Grant. No I hadn’t as this particular model is destined for a local town museum. The town wanted a static model of a boat that had some historical significance to them. The Miss Seaside used to give speedboat rides to visiting tourists. I can also tell you that using this build method, it’s heavy! I will say that an RC version of this design would be awesome!
  6. I got some great help from a fellow club member and a great friend. In his shop he has some very nice tools including a beautiful scroll saw and an oscillating spindle sander that made cutting out the qty 8, 1/2" lifts straight forward. Along with cutting out the waterlines for all 8 pieces, care needs to be taken to mark all 13 stations on each lift as well as the centerline for the full beam boards. These will be used to align the lifts for gluing. Below is a picture of the 8 lifts stacked: She is already starting to look like a boat!
  7. Thanks Mike! Miss seeing you guys. Looking forward to being able to get back together this year. Meddo, thanks for the kind words. You will enjoy this project. It is well engineered. I look forward to following your build log.
  8. They certainly are Chris. I was shocked at how much even the “project” boats go for on the market. They are classic designs. Bruce, Not at all, Would love your insight as I progress. Bill
  9. Being one of the Ship Model Society of New Jersey Club contacts on our public club web page you get some interesting inquiries. Several months back, the town administrator from a well known New Jersey Seaside Town reached out and asked if one of our club members would be interested in making a model of a boat that had some historical significance with the town. All the administrator had was a vintage photo shown below. The town is in the process of building a museum to house their historic carousel and wanted the model to be part of it. My response back was some
  10. Hello folks, I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays. Its been awhile since my last installment. Today's focus is on the ground tackle and making the flag which upon completion essentially completes the entire build project. Cheerful has your traditional anchor design from the period. Syren provides a very nice laser cut mini kit to make the anchors which I took full advantage of in my build. In the first photo you can see one of the two assembled anchors: Black artist tape is used to simulate the iron banding. I used some rust powder to show some affects o
  11. The rigging process continues: In the picture above, the standing rigging is complete as is most of the running rigging. I am using small clothes pins as weights for the end of some of the lines. You can also see both yards hung in place with their running rigging mostly in place. Its a bit of a trial and error process to get the right tension on all the braces and lifts. Take your time. Next up with be the ground tackle and raising the flag. We are getting very close to the finish line on this project. Its been a very enjoyable ride so far. U
  12. Meddo, Yes they are just regular black line. I used watered down PVC glue to stiffen them. Thanks for the likes folks! Bill
  13. The rigging process begins. With the boom and gaff made using the 7-10-7 rule, its as good a time as any to rig them. Below are some of the running rigging installed: I use clamps as weights sometimes to provide the necessary tension on the lines while rigging. Syren's plans and practicum do an excellent job describing what block type and size as well as what line size and color is needed for any particular line. In the next photo below you can see some of the standing rigging run. The lanyards and ratlines are ne
  • Create New...