Constellation hammock cranes and color scheme.

Jparsley

Hey guys starting constructionon the U.S. constellation not many good pictures of her out there By the way this is the 1797 model not the one in Boston Any ideas on the paint scheme also did they use hammock rails on the desk like hms ships did would like to make this as close to accurate as I can First boat to make and would love the help thanks

Welcome, kind sir!  As you note, the Constellation in Baltimore is a mid-19th century replacement of the original.  You may want to look into a couple of rather detailed volumes out there that discuss her history - may I suggest the following for a starting point for your research?

Chapelle, H. I., and L. D. Polland, 1970: The Constellation Question. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington. 

Ferguson, E. S., 1956: Truxtun of the Constellation; the life of Commodore Thomas Truxtun, U.S. Navy, 1755-1822. Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore, 322 p. pp. http://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/000334060(Accessed September 14, 2014).

Toll, I. W., 2006: Six Frigates: The Epic History of the Founding of the U.S. Navy. 1ST edition. W. W. Norton, New York, 560 pp.  ISBN 9780393058475

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/carderock/pub/cnsm/faq/faq_13.aspx

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Welcome to MSW.

As Wayne pointed out, there's some good info..

I'll also add the "short" version:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constellation_(1854)

I'll also toss a few links: 

http://www.navsea.navy.mil/nswc/carderock/pub/cnsm/faq/faq_13.aspx

http://www.maritime.org/conf/conf-linden.htm

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Im moving this topic...be sure to read "how to start a build log"  .  Since this doesnt constitute a build log I will change the the title to name it properly and move it to the nautical research forum.  Be sure to post in the appropriate forums and read the pinned topics for any and all info on what each forum is about.  This is really important when posting on the site.

Thanks

Chuck

ADMIN

On the question of hammock cranes... which Constellation are you attempting?  The kit or maybe a bash/scratch?    The 1797 Constellation would have had hammock cranes.  The 1854 version didn't as the hammocks were stored the top of the bulwarks.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Here's the link tot he 1797 Constellation info on Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constellation_%281797%29

There are some paintings (none contemporary that I could see) available at http://www.navsource.org/archives/09/46/46020.htm  The first 4 would be of the original frigate while the rest are of the new one built 1854.

I suspect that there were hammock rails of some sort - you may be able to glean some information from the Constitution history.  Note that the Navy History and Heritage Command did the miserable trick of redesigning their website late last year and most links to it do not work.  It is also very difficult to find anything there now. 

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Jparsley,

I'd suggest you open a build log.  These other forums are for questions, answers, and information.  The build logs are more appropriate for the build itself.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...