Panderma Ferry by bibounde - Turkmodel - Scale 1:87

Hi Everyone,

"Panderma Ferry" will be my second build log after the WONDERFUL Lady Nelson.

It is an historical passanger and cargo ship used by Mustafa Kemal ATATURK during the Turkish Independance War.

post-4589-0-06532700-1438633412.jpg

More details:

* Scale : 1/87
* Length : 620 mm

Here are pictures of the box (I'm not a fan of the cover :rolleyes:):

post-4589-0-01544200-1438633426_thumb.jpg

post-4589-0-00644100-1438633430_thumb.jpg

post-4589-0-68375700-1438633434_thumb.jpg

Because I previously built an Amati's model, I'm surprised about the quality of plans: they are not in scale (see the planking instructions).

post-4589-0-50864800-1438633420_thumb.png

Well, building the "Bandirma" (turkish name of the ship) in these conditions will be a challenge :)

Current Build - Panderma Ferry

Completed Build - Lady Nelson

Hello bibounde.

Assuming that there is some sort of history about the real ship in the manual of the model, which refers in the "Turkish Independence War", then yes I agree that the "challenge" is already set...

Was ever Ottoman empire or Turkey ( later) occupied by some other nation, so that should fight for its independence...?

Just food for thought...

I wish you good luck with the model. 

Thx

Edited by Thanasis

Don't think I have seen a Turkmodel build on here before. I like these type of ships. Best of luck. A nice length at 1:87th too.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

• 2 weeks later...

Hello bibounde.
Assuming that there is some sort of history about the real ship in the manual of the model, which refers in the "Turkish Independence War", then yes I agree that the "challenge" is already set...
Was ever Ottoman empire or Turkey ( later) occupied by some other nation, so that should fight for its independence...?
Just food for thought...
I wish you good luck with the model. 
Thx

Hello Thanasis,

Thank fo your comment and encouragement.

Yes the box contains a little history of the ship:

"The ship  was built by Mac. Intyre Paisley-Huston and Cardett shipyard, Glasgow, Britain, as a passanger and cargo ship. The ship’s first owner Dussey and Robinson Company named it as “Torocaderto” and used for 5 years. In 1883, the ship was sold to H.Psicha Preus, Greece. Then, it’s name was changed to “Kymi”.

In 1890, the last owner sold it to another Greek company which was Cap. Andereadis. The ship sunk at 1891 and was brought up in the same year. It was sold to Istanbul Rama Derasimo and recorded to Istanbul port. In 1894 she started to work for Ottoman Maritime administration. Her name  was changed to “Panderma” (Bandırma) and served as a post ship at Marmara sea.

The Ship completed a historical mission. On 1919, 19.May, The Founder of Modern Turkey Republic Mustafa Kemal ATATURK arrived at Samsun from İstanbul by this ship and started the Turkish Independance War  against the occupiers. The ship was taken to pieces at 1925 at Golden Horn."

There is also a wikipedia page about this steamer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Band%C4%B1rma

Regarding the history of Turkey, it seems that the country was occupied and partitioned following the Ottoman Empire's defeat in World War I (1918) between France, Greece, Armenia, Great Britain and Italy. Five years later, Mustafa Kemal obtained the revocation of this partition: the independance of Turkey.

But in my case, I'm more attracted by the lines of the ship than its history.

Regards,

Another update today !

I glued the bulkheads into their associated slots in the main keel.

post-4589-0-13471800-1439818536_thumb.jpg
post-4589-0-94395400-1439818542_thumb.jpg
post-4589-0-91816900-1439818537_thumb.jpg
post-4589-0-98957900-1439818529_thumb.jpg
post-4589-0-65572400-1439818539_thumb.jpg

And I started the planking (Not so easy to plank the stern grrr).

post-4589-0-45578200-1439818534_thumb.jpg
post-4589-0-21379800-1439818533_thumb.jpg

PS: Thank you for the encouragement S.Coleman !

Don't think I have seen a Turkmodel build on here before. I like these type of ships. Best of luck. A nice length at 1:87th too.

Thanks for your reply bibounde.

I know the Greek part of the ship's history but it might be interesting for the others.

As about the, who has been occupied by whom, it depends on the date that someone starts be dealing with the history... And the history of the Ottoman empire and its "activities" in Europe, had started many years before the 1918.

But yes, let's stay on the model which I also find it attractive.

Happy modeling

Thx

• 7 months later...

a very nice model Bibounde,

for fitting out details and figurines, etc. later on , you`ll find plenty of inspiring scale parts (because it`s HO 1:87)

Wish you much fun with the build...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 3 years later...
  • 6 months later...