Santa Maria kit - Novice question-but that's how we learn

lmgoldstein

I am working on the Santa Maria by Latina.  I have installed the frames and planked the deck, stained and varnished it.  Pretty.  I then placed the deck onto the top of the false keel.  Question:  Is the deck supposed to stay horizontal or is it supposed to bow down to be glued/nailed to the top of the false keel?  Personally I would want a horizontal deck but what do I know?  Silly question, laugh alot but first please help.  Thanks

Edited by lmgoldstein

The deck should follow the curve of the false keel and it will bend at the sides to make contact with the tops of bulkheads. It probably would have been better to attach the false deck before planking it.

Russ

The decks have a curve that follows the keel and bulkheads, which allows for water drainage on a real deck.

If you work out some creative clamping/holding (rubber bands, sticks etc...), you should be able to bond down the deck to the frame using 30 minute epoxy. If there are areas that will not be visible, you could use nails in those locations. I suggest epoxy for additional strength since you will need to flex the deck planks as well as the subdeck. Before bonding, do a trial fit/clamp in place, so you can be sure how it willl fit and where to do any adjustments. You may even be able to clamp in place and apply fillets of epoxy along all the joints where it touches the frame below, instead of on the contact surfaces.

Ken

Current Build: Authentic Hannah Kit Bash

Pending Continuation: Sea of Galilee Boat

Completed Build:  MS AVS

On Shelf: AL Independence, Blue Jacket Alfred

I don't mind the clamping, nailing, the soaking of the wood to make it pliable blah blah blah, it just seems to me that the deck would have been horizontal to the ground or water.  You know, nice and level.  But I was never in the Navy just the Corps.  Thanks

The decks had curvature to them in two directions, high at the bow and stern  and also high in the middle a low at the sides.  This was so water would run off.  In many ways, it resembles camber on a road.  Depending on the era some of this curvature could be pretty extreme.  Hope this explanation helps.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)