bmudry Posted September 23, 2015 Share #1 Posted September 23, 2015 (edited) I have always liked wooden ships, but have also always had about a million other things on the go both hobby wise and in real life. I picked up a few wooden ship kits several years ago and worked my way through the Model Shipways Phantom as a first go at the hobby. It turned out ok and based on that I picked up a Sultana as a next step, a Syren as a third build, and a Bluenose. I finished the Phantom in about 3 months, but then got sidetracked with painting several new Warhammer 40,000 armies, several 15mm WWII armies, and forces for several other miniatures games that I play. Now, 3 years after finishing the Phantom, I decided enough is enough time to get another ship done. It also didn’t hurt that I had an extra week of banked time at work that needed to be used before the end of September, so I decided to start on this and get a good start on it with the hope of being done before mid-December as at that point an annual miniature painting challenge starts and I have over 200 miniatures lined up to be painted from December through March. While I have extensive hobby experience and scratch building experience it has all been with metal, resin, plastic, and green stuff (sculpting compound), so I specifically picked ships that came with or had practicum’s available so that I could work through them with some extra guidance from some experts. That led me to the Phantom and Syren to start, even though what I really want to build is a Bluenose and a Victory. Anyway, enough background, onto the build…. Day 1 (Monday Sept. 21) The Syren kit from Model Shipways is an excellent, if not very exciting kit for beginners. We all want something big and complicated and impressive looking, but that’s not a great idea. I learned this from painting miniatures, start easy and move up. Having completed a Phantom, I thought the next step would be something with some planking. Even though this kit is a solid hull, the practicum explains how to improve on the base and plank the top half of the kit. I thought this would be a good next step. Day one involved a lot of sanding and shaping of the hull. I first removed the bulwarks and cleaned up the hull a bit as there was some rough spots. I Then moved onto making sure the keel area was flat and centered. Next came marking the line on the hull above which I would need to carve away material to make room to plank. I then marked out the lines to follow so that I could follow Mr. Passaro’s practicum on doing faked board lengths. It was at this point that I realized I needed more wood as all of the planks I would need are not in the kit as it wasn’t meant to be done this way. This made a stop for the day, but by that point I had some video games calling me…. Edited September 27, 2015 by Byron Philthy, yvesvidal and tasmanian 3 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.