Another type of blackening agent and some experiments

I suspect you can only remove polymer coatings using abrasives. Not a bad idea to remove lacquer that way as well, as acetone can be deadly, as mentioned.

Has anybody used fingernail polish remover?  It's supposed to be lacquer thinner, and maybe isn't as bad as straight acetone.

Joel,

Fingernail polish remover is acetone with some perfume and a small amount of oil to prevent (ha ha ha) drying out the skin.  There's a non-acetone polish remover but it apparently, according to the Admiral, doesn't work as well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So the oil to prevent drying would probably make it useless at removing oils from the metal parts?  Figures, as does the fact that a less-obnoxious type wouldn't work as well.

Hi,

I use acetone pretty regularly. I keep it in a sealed jar, open it to put in parts, take them out with tweezers and put then in water. Ocasionally some splashes out on my hands. I work in a large basement with no exhaust. Exactly how close am I to killing myself?

I always thought the risks involved were as a carcinogen and that given my age and limited exposure it was no big deal.

Any hard information would be appreciated.

Best,

John

Member:

Connecticut Marine Model Society

Nautical Research Guild

Model Ship World

"So we beat on, boats against the current, bourne back ceaselessly into the past" F. Scott Fitzgerald - The Great Gatsby

"If at first you don’t succeed.......skydiving is probably not for you”

Joel,

I think the fingernail polish remover might work. Whatever parts are cleaned by it should probably be washed and then pickled though.  I've not tested this as I have pure acetone around the house for other purposes.

John,

They say to use it in a well-ventilated area as not only can they cause health problems, the fumes can be explosive.  I use a fair amount of acetone and toluene and when I do, I'm either out in the garage with doors open or outside on the patio.  Both make my head spin if I get a snoot full  but I'm using them in heavy quantities for non-model purposes.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Since fingernail polish remover is acetone, how many women do you know who have had problems breathing the stuff?

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

Get a organic solvents breathing mask. I use one when painting or using some glues, like superglue or contact cement. ;)

Get them at your favorite home supply place. Replace cartridges as shown in their instructions. And vent your work space/shop. Something as simple as a box fan should do unless you're using the stuff to clean car parts. Large volumes of the solvent - do it outside the house for peace inside the house. Don't tick off the Admiral!  :( 

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Box fan? Not a good idea. The motor can produce sparks, igniting solvent fumes. Fans designed for fume extraction have special non-sparking motors. Try not to use volatile flammable solvents if you can possibly avoid them!

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

• 1 month later...

We used Tolulene at work for cleaning and preparing material for glue up. We used it near the docks for ventilation the fumes are dangerous and the stuff can be lethal if not wearing safety goggles and gloves. I lost a pair of glasses when a drop splattered on me. Remember safety first. We stopped using the stuff do to the problems using it safely.

David B