Rattlesnake 1781 by Don Quixote - Mamoli - Scale 1:64 - 20 gun Privateer

I would consider getting some sticks cut for you.

That would be wonderful! At least let me pay for postage. Cash on Delivery or something. Let me know if you're unclear on what sises I need. In fact if you would get 2 complete sets, that'd be awesome!

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

That would be wonderful! At least let me pay for postage. Cash on Delivery or something. Let me know if you're unclear on what sises I need. In fact if you would get 2 complete sets, that'd be awesome!

Wish I could turn everyone on to boxwood.  I'm afraid I mis-communicated. I was suggesting that you order some sticks from one of the custom guys. I think both charge about $1 per stick (24" in length) so depending on the width, you'd be in for $30-$40.

I still think it would be a good opportunity to try the better cut wood for not a huge investment. Using that on the hull would likely be beneficial.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

"May" never?? Brian, that would be "most likely" never. :)

Sam

Sam - my first inclination was "you will never" but I thought I would leave Brian an out if he wanted one. ;)

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

I'm seriously thinking about it. Saving my penny's for the bluenose and it's practicum. I understand the practicum has 13 pages dedicated to planking alone.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Actually, I think I'll order boxwood for the bluenose and stick with the one planking that's on it.

Bluenose practicum

https://lauckstreetshipyard.com/

The ship

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS2130

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

I have this practicum, actually I have all of them that I bought when I first started two years ago. The second chapter is all about the hull planking, he does skip the second planking as "it is exactly the same as the first" and unless you want a natural hull there was no need for the second layer. I have not gone through the whole practicum yet just the planking chapter, which seems to be helpful. If you are going to paint the hull why use boxwood, I am talking about the Bluenose. He also mentions that there is 70 - 1/16" x 1/8" strips for planking the hull on the Bluenose 

I painted Niagara after planking with boxwood. Paint even looks better on boxwood IMO. Also it was not just about the wood, you'll get a better cut - straighter and more consistent.  However, your point is well taken. I've turned into a boxwood bigot and will preach the benefits anywhere I get a chance. ;)

Brian, if you do decide to look into that, send the parts list to Jason at Crown and he can give you an estimate for full replacement (what I do now), just the hull, deck & hull - whatever you want. The only caution I would warn you of is boxwood stains differently than basswood. In other words the same stain will look different on the two woods. So decide what will be painted and what will be stained and use the same wood for stained parts.

I can't argue that Mike :) . If I ever get the chance to use boxwood I'll probably be onside with you. It is very hard to find in Canada

That's a shame Don. Although I imagine you have access to some varieties we might not see in the states.

This ship uses a wood called Tanganyka. I think it's made in China. Soak it, steam it, iron it. Shreds like cereal. Cut it? No way, splinters. No matter how gentle you use the knife. I've actually had better luck sanding it.

I can definitely see the advantages after using this and the basswood.

Here's my verdict:

Bluenose, $140 at model expo or $190 at Amazon.

Boxwood, $45

Practicum, $120

$305, tax, shipping call it $340.

Either way at my allowance I'll get back to you about her in a few months. :blush:

Edited by JustBlowinInTheWind

In Dry Dock:

Wow that stinks. Sounds like even basswood might be a step up. I guess it's soft so it can mold around the 1st planking? I still haven't figured out the double plank thing. Instead of stressing out twice, why not just do it right the first time?

why not just do it right the first time?

Would that it were so.

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Brian - I replied to your PM a few days ago.

Consider this POS abandoned. See ya when my bluenose gets here.

In Dry Dock:

• 1 month later...

Where can I get a full new package of wood for the bluenose? I just bought the practicum.

In Dry Dock: