San Juan Nepomuceno by loupy45 - Artesania Latina

Two years ago I purchased my second kit from AL. The first kit  (HMS Endeavour) was made in Spain and the quality was OK. The second kit (San Juan Nepomuceno) is made in China. The quality is horrendous!!

Starting from the packaging right through the whole kit. Warped wood, warped false keel, plywood chipping off and  full of holes, chain and nails are not made of  brass, bent anchors, keel assembly made in plywood, cannons bores off center, sails not made according to the drawing measurements.   More over I discovered that the top and bottom capstans parts were glued off center.

As I am on the 22 second months of building I am not sure what else I will encounter. My advice to all modellers is to stay away from the AL Elite Series as it is definitely not elite! I live in Cape Town South Africa and I purchased the kit in Spain. AL replaced some wood but it took 4 to 8 weeks to arrive, the keel assembly was sent twice as first one arrived broken.    Sourcing parts for ship modellers in this country is like looking for water in the desert!    The local distributor is very good but parts are limited he does not stock wood.    The wooden parts of the SJN are supplied in various shades of walnut therefore one needs to keep the same consistency.   To repair the plywood I had to use glue mixed with saw dust.   The main mast is 10mm thick in dark walnut, I tried everything, steam, boiling water, then placed it  in a vise with an aluminum  angle and left it for a week, to no avail it would NOT come straight, it just bounced back.   Eventually I received the mast from AL after 3 months.

In February this year I "abandoned ship" as my loving supervisor and companion Smokey (my cat) passed on and I am still suffering her loss.

It is a shame that the quality of AL has deteriorated so much.   For a modeller to put so much effort on a mediocre supplied kit is a waste of time and money.

Anyway i didn't give up.  I am attaching photos and my current progress so far.

Regards,

Renato

20150819_113550.jpg

20150818_103015.jpg

20170429_122142.jpg

20150707_083529.jpg

20150817_141552.jpg

IMG-20170318-WA0002.jpg

AL glued capstan.jpg

20150818_102945.jpg

20150817_140604.jpg

20151010_113558.jpg

20150813_124004 - Copy.jpg

20150910_103433.jpg

20150910_153020.jpg

20160829_100117.jpg

20170429_121835.jpg

I will admit there is some terrible wood in that kit and it is sad to see that type of quality. The sails, however, are correct. The plans are showing the sails before being sewn and bolt ropes being added, AL has supplied the sails pre-sewn and ready to be installed.

26 minutes ago, loupy45 said:

In February this year I "abandoned ship" as my loving supervisor and companion Smokey (my cat) passed on and I am still suffering her loss.

So sorry for your loss Renato, I know only to well the pain of losing a beloved pet. My dog Jason passed away 11 years ago, not a day goes by I do not think of him.

Paul

In work

Amati-rms-titanic-1912-1250

Unfinished kit

Revell Container-ship-colombo-express

Finished

AL -  King of the Mississippi

AL-Sanson

Hi Don,

Thank you for point out the sails issue. I see you have purchase and build excellent quality kits. I bet that the AL Mayflower was made in Spain?

17 hours ago, donrobinson said:

I will admit there is some terrible wood in that kit and it is sad to see that type of quality. The sails, however, are correct. The plans are showing the sails before being sewn and bolt ropes being added, AL has supplied the sails pre-sewn and ready to be installed.

16 hours ago, robert daniels said:

Sorry about Smokey. I built the same model three years ago and no issues with the quality of the parts.

Hi Robert ,

Thanks. Was your kit made in Spain? 

17 hours ago, Paul Jarman said:

So sorry for your loss Renato, I know only to well the pain of losing a beloved pet. My dog Jason passed away 11 years ago, not a day goes by I do not think of him.

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your concern I still find it difficult to work around the ship I am missing her presence.

17 hours ago, donrobinson said:

Hi there Loupy(?), I'm not sure where the kit was made but it was bought two years ago. I did have problems with one of the billets holding the bulkheads, the glue had de-bonded leaving the bulkheads in two pieces. I had that replaced and as for the rest I had replaced most of the wood with my own so I did not have too many issues.