Jib stops?

I have not been able to find out what a "jib stop" is, what it does and how it is used.  The only place I see it is on the set of drawings (not in the instructions) and only in this one place. 

This is a MS Bluenose kit build.  Anyone have any insights?

bow.jpg.6b951aa909a83e5e986c0f5ecdefe51d.jpg

Hi there;

Could it be a fixed length rope to prevent the jib being hauled out beyond a certain point when it was being set?

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Mrmdpc

Glad to meet you.  What is your name? 

Hope this helps.  It is from Chapelles American Fishing Schooners, page 381.

Allan

Jib stops.JPG

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

When sail is taken in the headsails are folded as neatly as possible, like an accordion along the top of the spar and then they are lashed in place by passing those "Jib stops" once around the bundle of sail and tied with a reef knot. The stops just hang beneath the bowsprit or jibboom when the sail is set. They are only long enough to pass over the top of the bundled sail and have a knot. They are spaced about four feet apart from each other along the spar for the length taken by the furled sail.

Niagara USS Constitution 

For what it's worth, here is an image of my Bluenose bowsprit with the jib stops rigged.  The knots that keep them in place can be seen in this photo.  Hope this helps

DSCN0429.thumb.JPG.5812cda4cda3f1bb0894d13d7143959d.JPG

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd