Next kit suggestion???? moved by moderator

Rich_engr

I know I'm probably getting waaay ahead of myself here (don't we all regarding this subject), but does anyone have any good suggestions for a 2nd kit to build?  I'm working on MS Niagara, 1:64, which is an "intermediate" level... 

For my next build, I'm toying with these possibilities:

1. Quick and easy sloop or something similar (MS Bluenose in 1:64 or maybe AVS, etc.)
  2. Another brig (Lexington, Swift, etc.)
  3.  Way More advanced (Syren, MS Constitution, Amati's Fly, or Mamoli's Surprise)

I'd like to kind of stick with 1:64 scale if possible, and wouldn't want to go too much smaller (Conny would be a challenge)

(Personally, I've had my eyes on the Fly, Surprise, and Syren, and even the Bluenose.  I feel the Constitution is out of my league right now.)

Any thoughts on these, or others??

My vote would be for Syren. I have seen Chuck's plans and instructions and I know that kit itself is first rate.

Russ

Take a look at the Santisima Trinidad Cross Section by OcCre. It is a nice size model and the quality of the kit that I received is very good. The instructions are in pictures of each step, supplemented by a second Sheet in English with a brief description of What to do.

Best

Vern 

• 3 weeks later...

I consider myself a semi experienced beginner. I have completed Bob Hunt's HMS Halifax and I am now working on the ME Confederacy. I also tackled the ME Constitution far too early and eventually my cumulative mistakes brought me to a full stop :( . It was a valuable experience but only because it taught me what not to do :huh: .  ME has been wonderful in supplying me new parts for the early part of the build and I intend to restart her in the not too distant future ^_^ .

Chuck Ps models have excellent instructions that even a Weblo like me ;)  can follow if I go slow. Confederacy is big beautiful and, thanks to Chuck's excellent instructions, is a model a beginner can strech himself or herself with :D . Bob Hunt (Lauck Street Shipyard) has great practicums for a number of models of varying degrees of difficulty from Model Expo and others that help you build your expertise.  Bottom line, as a newcomer, I suggest that you look for a build with a degree of difficulty you feel comfortable with and excellent instructions as supplied or supported by a practicum.

Happy Modeling

Jax

I see the Portsmouth from Mamoli looks like a nice not too big or not too small kind of build. I have been wanting that kit for a while. It is 1:64, I'm into all my 1:64th stuff at the moment although my paddle steamer I'm in the middle of at the moment is 1:80th. There's a lot of great kits out there for the interests of everyone so don't worry, you'll make you mind up.:)

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Rich,

You've set your scale, so in my opinion, build the one you want. Those are all good choices.  Even the Conny's probably not out of your league.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)