Bluenose by Don Quixote – Model Shipways – scale 1:64 - Canadian fishing Schooner

Fake stantions in place. I lost a few that needed to be replaced when sanding, but no real problems.

10.jpg

11.jpg

Getting ready to sand and prime.

12.jpg

Screwed up that, see what I can come up with at the stern.

Edited by JustBlowingInTheWind

Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 Scale. 2nd boat in the learning series.

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

Pride of Baltimore. Model Shipways. Clipper used in the war of 1812.

Black Falcon. Mantua Model. 18 century corsair brig.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

A baseball cap my Dad wore.

• 2 weeks later...

How the bloody &*%^ did that happen? Guess this won't be a bluenose after all.

20180317_171226.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack. 1:24 scale. Model Shipways, 3rd in the learning series.

Not sure what'll be next, probably the Santa Maria by Artesania Latina 1:65 scale. Unless someone has a better suggestion for a beginner.

CSS. Alabama. E. Manolie? Can't read the font. Build in Liverpool in 1862 for use in the American Civil War by the Confederates. Steam and sail, sloop of war.

What is that?

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

Brian. take a look at my build and you will see the adjustment I had to make.

Mine was just minor, I have no idea what you have done in the construction of your stern area.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Sheesh. I thought I was going to have to make my own. Brilliant! Question. I see a piece like this for the stem as well, but I don't see anything to go in-between. Am I to make those?

Different idea.

In Dry Dock:

On 3/20/2018 at 5:10 PM, mikiek said:

What is that?

Apparently it's supposed to set on top and in fact extend beyond. Apparently it's a known phenomena but I managed to get it WAY outta whack. Docs solution is simple and elegant.

forgot the page number, sorry.

Addendum

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Ready to prime the hull to see how much I need to fix. I have some model-expo primer. Think it can be thinned to work with an air brush?

In Dry Dock:

Can't speak specifically for the ME brand but most primers can and should be thinned for an airbrush. Same for most acrylic paints. Keep an eye on the blobs. Out where you're at low humidity can start the mist drying before it gets to the surface. Vallejo (probably others) makes a retarder for this problem. It works well. Only problem, if I recall is there are no instructions giving mixing ratios. If you have ever seen the small Tamiya paint bottles, I use them for mixing. Mix paint/thinner to fill bottle about half way and for that I add 10-15 drops of retarder.

Just go with lite coats, and several of them. If the blobs happen, you may need to sand them off after you correct the mixture.

Sail on...... Mike         "Dropped a part? Your shoe will always find it before your eyes do"

Current Builds:                                                          Completed Builds:

Lancia Armata 1803 - Panart                                   US Brig Niagara - Model ShipwaysSection Deck Between Gun Bays - Panart  ; Arrow American Gunboat - Amati    

Riva Aquarama - Amati                                           T24 RC Tugboat  ;  Hispaniola - Megow - Restoration ; Trajta - by Mikiek - Marisstella ; Enterprise 1799 - Constructo                             

As for ME paint, they can't be diluted for air brushing.  Go with paint from HobbyTown or other hobbystore.

Respectfully

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Wow Per. That's good to know, but a bad thing.

Brian you might check into either Vallejo or Tamiya. Both are a step above the average stuff. As I mentioned I use Vallejo primer & airbrush additives. For paint, you can't go wrong with Tamiya.  Vallejo can be had on Amazon. Megahobby always has a good selection of Tamiya in stock.

Thanks Thanks Mike I'll definitely do that. I found a can of spray paint primer. As suspected it showed up a whole lot of flaws where are we be needing filler.

And that ladies and gentlemen coma is the result of using technology for voice recognition.H*** even my grammars better than this

In Dry Dock:

Okay, I have a bit of work to do.

sand3.jpg

sand2.jpg

sand1.jpg

In Dry Dock:

Don't know a thing about Bluenose, but if I was building a square rigger I would leave wood grain and small gaps. Looks like another primer coat would fill it and your hull will still look like wood planks rather than a show car. Whether or not Bluenose is supposed to look like that, I'll leave to you.

I know I know what you mean it would not look too bad. However she's supposed to have a very smooth body. Given the color I plan to paint it I think it needs to be smooth.

I say body because this phone doesn't understand Hall Hall Hall phuket

Typo's

In Dry Dock:

That's what I meant about not knowing Bluenose. Heck they should have given you a plastic hull and saved you a lot of trouble :piratetongueor4:

You and I both.

In Dry Dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Paints should be here Saturday. Very much nervous about the airbrush. Been a LONG time.

In Dry Dock:

What is the humidity running these days?

Temps 80 an RH 30%

In Dry Dock:

Don't paint if it gets below 60.

Did you order some of that retarder medium? I think that's the only problem you may have. The paint begins to dry in mid air and is a relatively hard ball of paint by the time it hits the surface. When it's real bad you can see the balls bounce off. If you don't have the retarder try moving the brush a little closer to the surface - less time in the air so less time to dry out.

Almost all acrylic paint in bottles needs to be thinned for airbrush use.

Plan for 8-10 VERY light coats. The first 2 or 3 will not even completely cover the surface.  I find this terribly hard to do. It's a real exercise in self control.

I assume you will be priming first? Everything described above applies to that also. A lot of times primer needs to be thinned drastically. Apply then sand with very fine grit abrasive. If the coat feels rough sand some more.

Keep the brush clean. Don't let it sit with paint in it for very long.

I don't know if 60% RH happens when it's raining here. This time next month it'll be 13% RH. We're at 150 feet above sea level here.

I'm going to need help from my best friend in school, Edward Special to retard drying enough.

Wait;

21 minutes ago, mikiek said:

below 60

degrees, or humidity? Degrees, no sweat, humidity, not gonna happen.

Different idea.

In Dry Dock:

That would be degrees. WHen paint or surfaces get cool you may start to experience the orange peel effect. This can be mitigated somewhat by the golden rule - spray extremely lite coats.

BTW - if using acrylic, and youdo the lite coat thing you only need to wait 15-20 minutes between coats. Just remember it will look like crap until the 4-5 coat. By then everything should be covered. But keep going lite even after that.

110 degrees, 13% humidity. You mean 15-20 seconds. Most of the year you have to wait until 2 am to see 60. You're weather's pretty similar to ours isn't it? What's your RH like this time of year. Or the summer.

In Dry Dock:

Brian, according to the forecast you have perfect air brush conditions as your high's should be in low to mid 80's and humidity at 0% as mine will be in the mid 60's and humidity at 40%.

But before you airbrush Blue, do many trials on separate parts not attached to Blue.

Respectfully

15 hours ago, Nirvana said:

separate parts not attached to Blue

Got it!

In Dry Dock:

On 4/20/2018 at 9:34 PM, JustBlowingInTheWind said:

110 degrees, 13% humidity. You mean 15-20 seconds. Most of the year you have to wait until 2 am to see 60. You're weather's pretty similar to ours isn't it? What's your RH like this time of year. Or the summer.

That would be minutes. A quick spray all over and you won't get near full coverage and that's fine.

15 minutes do it again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Start at one side, spray to the other and stop. Don't spray back & forth - you end up with build up on each end.

RH right now varies 50%-60%. When an arctic front pushes thru maybe 30%-40%. Summertime try 80%-85%. The only thing you worry about then is if your sweat drips on it.

I just brought the humidity thing up because a few months back it was cold & dry and I was trying to paint (aerosol can). Paint hit the surface and shriveled up and sure enough dried looking like an orange peel. Even funnier because it was orange paint. All you can do is wait for it to dry and sand it off. Spray cans usually have a warning about low temps & humidity.

Like Per says, just do it. Use a few obscure parts, if it orange peels on you you will now know why and what to do.

Brian,

Bluenose is the first model I have airbrushed.

Respectfully

It's cool when me & Per post side by side. You get 2 T37 Avitars.;)

Spent the last few days searching for my compressor. I have a badger 150. Finally found it, but no sign of the air hose. Come on! Takes me long enough to build these things,

Hose. $12.95. Shipping. $29.95

Addendum

In Dry Dock:

So I wound up getting a package called airbrush colors from u.s.airsupply on Amazon. Acrylic. $60 got me 24 colors of ready to airbrush 1 oz colors, a mixing bottle and a color wheel.  Thinner and a retardant. What's the paint thinner, distilled water? LOL. Happy so far, but haven't used it yet. Looking forward to painting the hull with trepidation.

In Dry Dock: