Friesland by greatgalleons - Mamoli - Scale 1:75

I believe Mamoli is the only manufacturer to produce the Friesland Galleon, at a length of 31" and height of 28".

It is a double plank on frame build with many gold color castings.

The wooden frame parts are lazer cut plywood. The planking and decking wood are a bit drab in color , typical for mamoli, but are in ample supply. Casting will need some refining to remove selvage and burs , may even require a bit of enamel paint or even some gold leafing.

This kit is produced for the advanced model builder and I'm sure experience will come in handy. All kits prove to have inherent flaws in materials and instructions. This may take the better part of the year to complete as I work very slow.

MSW has help with so many of my builds in the past, .

Thanks to all in MSW for all the help in the past. All my ship builds are donated to auctions to raise funds for local charity groups.

Finished kit builds:

Artesania Latina: Mare Nostrum, San Francisco II, Mississippi King, Santa Maria, Blue Nose II, Stage Coach 1848, Scottish maid, Jolie bries

Mamoli: HMS Beagle, HMS Golden Hind, Rattlesnake, friesland

Amati: Xebec, Nina, Pinta

Corel: Wasa, HMS Victory Section

Scratch Builds: HMS Ark Royal, Half Moon

Mantua: Royal Caroline-RC modified with working sails

Constucto: Elidir

Model shipways: 18th century long boat, Whale boat, Niagara (current build)

Kits not started:

Mantua: La Couronne,

Euromodel: derfflinger

M.Shipways: Syren

post-2054-0-81573000-1366991201_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-04235600-1366991205_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-76388600-1366991210_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-00386500-1366991214_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-74869600-1366991216_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-24969500-1366991220_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-03278000-1366991223_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

I think the consensus of this kit is that it is not a historic ship but rather loosely based on an antique model. The big criticism of many are the false cannons because the stick out too far and the metal frames because they tend to be very fiddly. Interesting to see if you will use the metal frames or not. If you do use them it might be best to not use the notches in the bulwarks because they don't usually align well.

Can you tell me if some of the bulwarks are thicker than others? I got this kit on special but it came the a different shaped box, for mine about 4 of the bulwarks are about 1-2mm thicker.

It should look beautiful when complete, hopefully i can use this as a guide for after I finish my Royal Louis.

Kits owned: Mamoli Royal Louis, Mamoli Friesland, Mamoli HMS Victory 1:90, Occre Santisima Trinidad, Constructo HMS Prince

Very nice.. I've never seen a live build of this one yet.. and she has always intrigued me. I'd love to follow your progress.

Looking forward to more

Andy

Hey there, I have not seen one yet either , it will be  a bit of a challenge , I've tackled some tuff one's in the past so any help will be appreciated. thanks. a.j

I think the consensus of this kit is that it is not a historic ship but rather loosely based on an antique model. The big criticism of many are the false cannons because the stick out too far and the metal frames because they tend to be very fiddly. Interesting to see if you will use the metal frames or not. If you do use them it might be best to not use the notches in the bulwarks because they don't usually align well.

Can you tell me if some of the bulwarks are thicker than others? I got this kit on special but it came the a different shaped box, for mine about 4 of the bulwarks are about 1-2mm thicker.

It should look beautiful when complete, hopefully i can use this as a guide for after I finish my Royal Louis.

your absolutely right about the accuracy of the kit, but its all I have at the moment to use, these galleon kits are usually a culmination of many different opinions. Just like my Le Soleil Royal kit its iffy on so many levels. 

some work on the ports, I added some supports to the space in between the gun ports for the planking, and inside the ports for the hatch seal, these are not required in the instructions just a personal touch.  Started on the primary planking also.  The instructions require the main deck gun ports to be made at this stage. 

post-2054-0-27977500-1367359995_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-49106800-1367360018_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-23049700-1367360021_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-57738100-1367360023_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-87730800-1367360025_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-73675900-1367360028_thumb.jpg

the main deck canon ports are supposed to be installed before the primary planking, I chose not to use all the ports provided, I will only use them on the hidden areas between decks, I will make my own for the open area of the main deck later in the build. 

post-2054-0-64941100-1367450486_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-77325600-1367450487_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-56163200-1367450506_thumb.jpg

post-2054-0-70280800-1367450509_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'll be following your build log with great interest, as I'm about to start the Friesland as well.

This model is based on the Hohenzoller model, and is a twin sister of the Zeven Provincien.

There was a ship Frysia or Groot Frysia (= Friesland), buit it was completed in1665, and part of the Dutch fleet under admiral Michiel de Ruyter in the battle against England & France.

I am looking forward to learn from you, and start a build log myself!

Regards,

Alex

-------------

Next build:

Definitely highest on my list is the Batavia (Kolderstok), just need to find some more time before I will start.

Finished Builds:

(2023) Friesland 1663 1:75 (Mamoli). https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24314-friesland-by-alex-k-mamoli-scale-175/

(2013) Half Moon 1:50 (Corel) http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/210-half-moon-by-alex-k-corel-150-halve-maen-completed/

(1988) Norske Lowe 1:75 (Billing)

(1986) Oseberg 1:25 (Billing)

(1985) Bounty 1:50 (Billing)

Friesland, in my opinion is one of the attractive and beautiful ship.

It will be pleasant to follow the steps and the stages of her building. It is unconscious to suspect how she will be built, good or not... 

After the ships you have already built and after the pictures of the beginning of the Friesland, I am sure that I will be addicted to your log.

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Hello ferit, for this particular build my plan was to use the parts and instructions from the kit and address any issues that may arise during the process. I,m only interested in placing this build on MSW to used as a guide to help others complete their kits. Thanks for showing interest,

Hi greatgalleons ( I don't think that this is your real name? )

I will follow you with a lot of interest because I have read on a Dutch Forum that you have to change a lot of stuff.

When I see the beginning of your build, I know what they mean!

So far you are doing a great job.

I'm happy to see another Dutch ship  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Another Friesland..

I'll be following this one with great interest.

Frieslanbd is based on the Hohenzollernmodel. That particular model is fairly well documented by Heinricht Winter. There is a nice book (in German) around of this model (the model itself didn't survive through the last war)

The kit has some minor and larger mistakes in it, but genenerally speaking it is a nice example of a Dutch warship of the era.

The whole historic blabla of Mamoli is nonsense. There never was such a ship names Friesland (and the Friesland that existed was of different build than this ship). Nevertheless, a kit worth building.

(I did hesitate long in choosing between Prins Willem and Friesland, and I finally went for PW.

Unfortunatedly, my house is far too small for two of these large models.....)

Jan