Friesland by greatgalleons - Mamoli - Scale 1:75

Looks really good, and you're going very fast!

I really benefit from your log. I have the first planking almost done from my Friesland.

Can you still remove the upper decks to place the cannons on the deck below? If not, how will you manage?

Best Regards,

Alex

-------------

Next build:

Definitely highest on my list is the Batavia (Kolderstok), just need to find some more time before I will start.

Finished Builds:

(2023) Friesland 1663 1:75 (Mamoli). https://modelshipworld.com/topic/24314-friesland-by-alex-k-mamoli-scale-175/

(2013) Half Moon 1:50 (Corel) http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/210-half-moon-by-alex-k-corel-150-halve-maen-completed/

(1988) Norske Lowe 1:75 (Billing)

(1986) Oseberg 1:25 (Billing)

(1985) Bounty 1:50 (Billing)

When I am completely done with the hull I will I will glue the cannons to the carriages by placing a quick drying glue on the canon prongs, then carefully sliding them into the ports and onto the carriage. I cannot work on the hull as I need to with the canon barrels glued in so I leave that step for last,

The upper decks are all in with the canon carriages glued in also, except for on the open area on the main deck, those will have rigging and blocks since they will be visible.

I have to admit that this build has been quite challenging since I do not have a reference to go by.  Also I have had problems with insufficient materials. There has not been enough wood for the strakes and hull planking so I have been using similar wood I have had stored away for a while, I hope you do not have this problem.  It may be that I did not purchase my kit from a reputable source and have received a shorted kit.

Edited by greatgalleons

Nice Work!!!!

JP

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

I have added the nails to the hull strakes mostly for a effect like tree nails would be.    Also before working on the bow of the ship I have decided to work on the stern and gallery area now while its still easy to maneuver the hull around as needed.

Some of the castings have lost their gold plating mostly due to age, this is a older kit.   I will use different enamel paints on the figures like copper, gold and silver, even some red enamel. There are some paintings of the 4 day battle from 1666 which show a lot of red paint on the gallery area and carvings on the original ships of the era which look very much like the friesland.

the rudder is not fastened on yet until I'm done with the rest of the stern and tafrail.

post-2054-0-98482000-1370298603_thumb.jpg

Edited by greatgalleons

Very nice work on the galleries. The green is a good color against the gold.

Russ

here is a painting from 1666 of a few Friesian ships during the four day battle, there is a lot of red used on the carvings and area around the galleries , I'll use some similar colors on the model

Look here ,the seven Provinciën...

The flagship of admiral De Ruyter  on that battle..

It was the same class, a twodecker...

de_zeven_provincien.jpg

Edited by Mecheleir

Look here ,the seven Provinciën...

The flagship of admiral De Ruyter  on that battle..

It was the same class, a twodecker...

de_zeven_provincien.jpg

I have a folder in my 'Future developments' folder on my PC with this ship in mind. I love the style and shape and would make an excellent partner with Prince.

I love this Mamoli model, too - greatgalleons is doing a great job on this kit.

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook