Jump to content

75mm Lifeboat by etsinko - FINISHED - Master Korabel - Scale 1:72


Recommended Posts

Hello everybody,

This is an express build log for a 8-oared lifeboat made by Master Korabel. This is my second one, I have already built one of these for my St. Gabriel Model. The laser cut parts for these tiny boats are very delicate and fragile and I managed to break a couple of them. Fortunately these little mishaps didn't affect the result. Also, I deviated from the instructions a little bit and I think it made the assembly slightly easier.

 

This tiny kit consists of a few veneer and plywood billets:

kit.thumb.jpg.86f2e62ac7d86ac4bdccf033384676d3.jpg

 

First few steps, were straightforward and I simply followed the instructions:

 

1. I beveled and assembled the center keel.

keel.thumb.jpg.ffd3bf3ee594dae66aea7f606c1db0a2.jpg

2. Next, the instructions tell you to attach some stern pieces to the keel frame at this point. I decided not to do it right now and wait until a later stage. The reason is that it is really hard to align these stern pieces with the keel frame and make them perfectly perpendicular. Instead I skipped ahead and assembled the jig and inserted (but not glued!) all the bulkheads into it. The bulkheads are very fragile and I managed to break a couple of the rotating bulkheads in the bow section of the boat while dryfitting them. Simply gluing them back together with CA glue solved the problem:

jig.thumb.jpg.3100987a928e7a4c3943a737fff75836.jpgbulkheads.thumb.jpg.4da667332e44ef62860e628959088958.jpg

 

Edited by etsinko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3. Once all the bulkheads were inserted into the jig I glued the center keel to the bulkheads (again, you can only glue it in specific spots!) and glued stern pieces 12 and 14 to the center keel (but not the jig!). I found that it was much easier to align them once the jig and the rest of bulkheads are installed. Finally I soak both port and starboard risings and tried to fit them into the notches in the bulkheads. This is where I pushed too hard again and both of the rising cracked a little. As before, iny drops of CA glue fixed the problem:

rising.thumb.jpg.293c426ebe855269cfb5fb598c0b37d5.jpg

4. After that I followed the instructions, attached transom, soaked timbers and carefuly glued them. The timbers in the fore can only be glued to the center keel, while timbers in the midsection can be glued to the bottom portions of bulkheads. All timbers can be glued to the top sections of the bulkheads (above the gunwale notch). Note that the bulkheads in the aft don't have any timbers, the planks are glued directly to them: 

timbers.thumb.jpg.bed03a58c283931ca89a2e17b0d1d9d7.jpg

5. Finally planking can begin! I deviated from the instruction again and glued the planks that go above the rising so the transom piece is firmly supported by them. After that I simply planked the boat as per instructions, starting with the strake right under the rising:

strake1.thumb.jpg.be74d690ad352b3c93ac918ff5ba2c4c.jpg

strake2.thumb.jpg.15a80f0268b6e303d75b236e88da6510.jpg

strake3.thumb.jpg.27fe44b34fb2f575c8821a84dbe46469.jpg

strake4.thumb.jpg.9fbf1be387573448143bdd0607d48906.jpg

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6. After planking is done, the manual says that you have to smooth and sand the hull. I decided to remove the jig first and add some glue on the inside for additional rigidity. The manual says that you simply need to snip protruding ends of the timbers. I decided to go further and cut the bulkheads as well, this should make removal of the jig much easier:

bulkheads_cut.thumb.jpg.305fc27d6906f2b352d37661e6b7efc4.jpg

jig_removed.thumb.jpg.ddb7bc25c6097dbf7e02f7d38488f999.jpg

7. Next, I poured plenty of white glue in the aft section which will be covered by side benches and floor grating:

open.thumb.jpg.88e236a5647887d2ee1d5a515a9d881d.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8. After the glue was dry I glued stern box covers and stern decking and started inserting timbers. I only slid them into the notches in the keel slightly and glued with a dab of superglue on both ends:

stern_box.thumb.jpg.49fe0c821b53ef682ab010ce109a4255.jpg

9. Once all timbers were installed I poured a lot of white glue into the bilge:glue_in_bilge.thumb.jpg.90ab856a981b3ea3e1bcb50591b21587.jpg After it dried I installed decking to cover it:

decking.thumb.jpg.2ede0c1db6fb85496ea22940d2b1d675.jpg

10. Once the glue was dry the hull was sanded:

sanded.thumb.jpg.0c66b6ad23034ba9dfd7eae9929482d7.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11. After that, all thwarts were assembled and glued to the boat, I decided to attach metal mast clamps to the thwarts before installing them on the model:

thwarts.thumb.jpg.2789566f396b67f3a03f70e62d514ea5.jpg

12. The rest was straightforward - I simply followed the instructions and added guard rail, gunwale, oarlocks and gudgeons/pintles:

pre-final.thumb.jpg.76ac5a37d65f395ef5a6669d2d9d4396.jpg

And made the rudder and oars:

rudder.thumb.jpg.0bc7e3f860e688dc216b625894751b34.jpg

Finally the boat is done! This is how it looks on the deck of Mayflower:

may1.thumb.jpg.b647c995a271809c6c5044c40cd64e0e.jpg

may2.thumb.jpg.03ff39f7551c4788e91573a019277d2c.jpg

Edited by etsinko
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...