Can anybody share a review of Trucolor model paints?

Trucolor model paints, made in Phoenix, AZ, are somewhat new on the scene. I saw somewhere that their "business model" was to product an oil-based line of model paints to replace the old tried and true Floquil colors that everybody loved. They seem focused for the moment on railroad, automotive, and military models, but they have scads of colors and finishes (high glosses to matts.) Here's their website: http://trucolorpaint.com/

Has anybody used these paints as yet?

If they really have recreated the old Floquil paints, sign me up!

I have been using Trucolor paints for quite awhile. They were formally Accupaint. I use this paint on my ships, planes and model rr equipment. It is fabulous! I cannot recommend it enough!

I attached a shot of my Revell 1:400 Queen Mary 2 that I painted with Trucolor Paint.

QM2 finished.JPG

Edited by Rick Abramson

Trucolor is acetone based, so work appropriately. Mask up. They do have an extensive color range. They have USN and IJN colors so far; looks like they will add an RN range also.

Rick, do you prime the model? And what masking tape do you recommend.

Nice QM2

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

For primer, I use the Tamiya Surface Primer, item no. 87042. It is fabulous. For masking I use the 3M blue, medium adhesive. Except for the primer, the model is entirely airbrushed. Normally, Trucolor does not need to be thinned. If it does, I cut it with lacquer thinner. Glad you like the model. She took 3rd place at a model ship conference.

I recently finished the Trumpeter 1:350 USS Saratoga and used the Trucolor USN paints. The gray for the hull and mahogany for the flight deck is 100% on!

Edited by Rick Abramson

I have heard good things about this product. However I have found that the availability can be a problem. For instance in western NY there are few places to purchase them. If you are lucky enough to have a retailer you may find they keep a minimal selection. If anyone has a good source of the colors please let us all know. I would like to try them out.

Joe

Edited by Thistle17
spelling

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey