Jump to content

Red Dragon by Tjalle58 - Artesania Latina - Scale 1:60

Recommended Posts

Hi all!

After my last endurance with Thermopylae I will continue with something easier. And a bit different from what I think is the most beautiful ships. I started it some time ago parallel with Thermopylae so I have allready started with the second planking abd I have prepared the decks.



Now it's time to start sanding the frames


Soon ready for planking


I will update this log with more pictures and for those of you who are beginners like me I will try to explain what I am doing and why.

This far it's not much to say other than that I put back the support girders between every frame that I glued nd when all frames was in place i glued the girders.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi again shipmates :)

It's time for an update on my Red Dragon. Some pictures from the hull planking. I am still not comfortable with the planking. I have the feeling that I have no idea of what I am doing but the hull came out pretty well after all. I did not line the hull as one is supposed to do, maybe thats why I feel insecure. Next I will (must) do that.


First three planks on both sides:



After that the instruction said to continue from the bottom so that is what I did :)



Firs planking completed:


This can be fixed with filler:



And the second planking:

I followed the same method as from the first planking. As you can see I didn't get the planks really tight but it is not as bad as it looks. In this angle with the flash the slots between looks bigger then they are. I put glue on the tip of a toothpick and dragged it on the slots, let the glue dry for just a few seconds and then sanded and the slots dissapeared.





I will sand and varnish the hull so as I said: I am pretty happy with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

While the glue dried on the planks I started to plank the decks:

I started with lining up the deck. I choose to a pattern of four, that is every fifth (or is it forth?) plank will be in the same position.

Each plank are 8 cm. so that is 2 cm. between the lines



maindeck allmost finished:



I pulled a pencil, size 4B, on the edges of each plank to imitate the filling betwween the planks I don't know the word for that in english :)


I used a 0,7 mm pencil to imitate the nails and then varnished the decks:



As you can see above I took up the holes for the deck to be fitted to the hull. Don't do that, it is better to sand the pins on the hull so they just go up through the false deck and not the planks. The aft hole doesn't matter, that will be covered. The hole in the bow is allmost invisible but... :) 





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi all! It's time for another update on my project. I have fitted the decks and the transom.

The hole in the deck in bow is allmost invisible :)



The waterways are glued in place also


as you can see on the right I have started to take the hole for the passage to the balcony. And here I find the instructions a bit strange (or maybe it's me :) ) Why glue the waterway before I saw the bulwark. There is risk to damage the deck, it went out pretty well though. Would I build this again I would wait with the waterways. It's the same on the balcony, the waterway is in place.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

They have included a sticker that is supposed to sit on the transom


But I prefer the planked transom as it is so I will skip the sticker. After I have assembled the transom I thought it looked strange. It was 1 cm to high so I had to cut it off in the bottom.


As you can see I varnished the hull here a bit earlier than the instructions suggests :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And back to the openings to the balcony. If I understand the instruction it says to put a post like this beside the opening


I did not do that; I can always adjust that later so instead it came up like this:



This is where I am right now. It's time to prepare the rudder and drill for the rudderpost and  fit the deckfiitings :) 

Edited by Tjalle58
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I started with the rudder and planked it, that was ok. But when I drilled the hole i came a bi to the left (port :) ). But I msjudged the angle so the hole in the poopdeck was way to far to the bow. I saw pictures from another post, I think it was in this forum, and he had filed yhe so it was cm:s long. I will not do that. I will cut the rudderpost and just stick it in the hole in the bottom and then i just put down the top of the rudderpost from the poopdeck 1 cm or so and glue it to the edge. The angle will be wrong but I don't think noone can notice. Part of the hole will be covered by the tiller so I think (hope) it will be ok.


Speaking of the rudderpost: since I still don't have much experience I am constantly worried about if things will work. For instance this:


The instruction said: make a notch in the rudderpost and insert the rudderblade 😟. A small saw and i file and it was ok. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 years later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...