Hi everybody! I'm an Officer of the Watch in the British Merchant Navy, ask me anything?

Hello all, and thanks for this wonderful resource! I've been lurking this site for a little while so it is time to say 'hello' and contribute in a small way. Before he passed on, a good family friend scratch built wooden ships, a great number of them I am told. I remember as a wee lad standing next to his model of the Victory, I've no idea of the scale but it was as tall as me. Something had to inspire me, guess that was it. I'm looking at going back to building plastic stuff after a 15 year break, hopefully building up to my own giant wooden Ship of the Line some years off yet. 

I'm a newly qualified Officer of the Watch in the British Merchant Navy. I had a varied cadetship serving on a modern and 1980's cruise ship, a suction dredger and a small handy size container ship. I'm a Deckie, so I only have a little in depth knowledge of the Ginger Beers greasy parts, but I spent a month working in the engine room (very glad I chose the Deck side) so I know my way around at least. I don't promise to bring 25 years experience, but the Secretary of State for Transport says I've passed my driving test at least. 

If anyone has any questions about modern navigation, how to conn a ship or ship/cargo operations then please fire away!

Cheers!

Welcome, salt water sailor. Just your backround is enough to inspire. My family since we came from Germany before WW I has been navy, except for me. I am army artillery. One of my grand dads shoveled in at per-WWI battleship! Pursue your interest in ship building. Loook up JoTiKa there in the U.K. They have the hands down best Victory kit on the market. Pricey but worthy of the expense. I know because I have one in my collection of kits.

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

On 2/22/2019 at 2:41 AM, davidrasch said:

Welcome, salt water sailor. Just your backround is enough to inspire. My family since we came from Germany before WW I has been navy, except for me. I am army artillery. One of my grand dads shoveled in at per-WWI battleship! Pursue your interest in ship building. Loook up JoTiKa there in the U.K. They have the hands down best Victory kit on the market. Pricey but worthy of the expense. I know because I have one in my collection of kits.

I agree. If a Victory is on your list and you think you will reach the finish line, the JoTika  one is the best. I wasn't sure I could manage this hobby so I chose a cheaper supplier of the Victory as my first ship, that said its been a great learning tool.To be honest if you put it into perspective of how long these models take to create, the JoTika version spread over several years is actually worth the money especially for what you finish with. Enjoy what ever you build, and see you in the forums