Virginia 1819 by Matt D - FINISHED - Artesania Latina - 1:41

I’ve done a poor job of updating this log through the rest of the rigging.  Here are some photos of the work of installing the sails and running rigging.  I attached the mail sail to its gaff before mounting the gaff.  It was tricky getting the tension right on each line.  The most interesting part to me was seeing how the running lines and pulleys actually work to pull the gaffs into place and set the sails.  I struggled the most with making the rope coils look decent.  I decided to make loose coils because it seemed much harder to make really tight pinwheel style coils.  Its tight quarters working on the ropes with the rest of the lines in the way.  My long tweezers and hemostats were indispensable for that work.  My next post will show the finished model.

34F7F807-B1BE-4CF3-B216-95EBE2AB0222.jpeg

E7AC6DD5-5AD5-4948-A47E-10BF1689ED79.jpeg

0C570206-4035-4F63-87DB-505EBCE33CCD.jpeg

BC067024-7A8C-4E77-B5F1-94D53B3676D1.jpeg

26550C5C-DA15-44C7-A860-31C847F8F5ED.jpeg

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

Here is my completed model.  I made a ton of mistakes on it, but I’m very pleased with how it turned out.  I feel like this was an excellent choice for a first ship model and I looking forward to starting another one.  There’s no doubt that I’m hooked!

22B2DFA5-44CC-420D-8EAA-A149D28E603F.jpeg

2355995C-24F5-4121-A4EE-832310FA1BB9.jpeg

7D6ACD13-31E5-4AB1-B787-A78163083B04.jpeg

F4B61F4E-CE1D-45C1-8FF3-04DC6A1B7397.jpeg

8FDAABA9-802D-40DF-9A5C-158449CFB4D3.jpeg

87F35A2D-ABCD-4616-BFFC-F58EE35903D6.jpeg

E9D71087-AE39-4C7C-B31C-A305F78A7570.jpeg

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

Another vote for a job well done, Matt. You did yourself and the kit proud, and I bet, like the rest of us '1819 builders, you have learnt a lot that will serve you well in the future.

Looking forward to seeing a link in the 'current build' part of your sig...….

Completed Build --- Virginia 1819 - Artesania Latina

Other Models      --- German Armor plus others    Mastermind

Current Build --- Liveship Vivacia

Thank you Mark and Paul.  It meant a lot to me to have all the help and support from people like you on this site.  This community makes modelling a lot more fun and has really helped me grow my abilities.  

I have too many ideas for my next build.  I bought Model Shipways Fair American a few months ago and have been looking forward to building it.  I really like the transom windows, stern framing, painted wales, and the gun port framing to name a few of the features that drew me to that kit.  But I've also discovered the group projects portion of Model Ship World.  I bought the Triton plans in hopes of building the cross section model of that ship, but there are very few active logs of it right now and the cutting precision is very demanding.  I've actually tried building the frames with marginal success to see if I should proceed.  I think it will have to wait until I get a little better at building from scratch.  However, the newest project, HMS Winchelsea, has just started and looks like a really nice model.  I've been lurking over there for a few weeks and I think I'm going to buy the plans and start cutting plywood this week.  There are about 20 new build logs and a lot of discussion going on in that forum and I think I would like to be a part of that. 

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 1 year later...

Thanks, HJ.  There are several really nice build logs of this kit.  Be sure to read through them to pick up some tips and hopefully avoid some problems.  I recommend starting a build log and keeping it updated so you can get some constructive feedback.  The Virginia 1819 crew on MSW is a fantastic group.  I didn’t know AL switched to electronic copies of the instructions.  If you can get that poster printed full size, I would recommend doing so.  I used it a lot to figure out how to build it.  It was indispensable for the rigging.  I’m sure you’re a long way from this, but don’t make the mistake I made on the railing posts.  I tried to use a spacer to space them evenly and ended up getting bitten by stacked tolerance error.  Measure from one point instead and make sure you’re happy with the location of the step.

Current Build:

Completed Builds:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...