Matt D

HMS Winchelsea 1764 by Matt D 1:48

I am happy to announce that I have purchased the plans and am starting my build log for the HMS Winchelsea.  I've been interested in this since the first time I saw the project on the Syren Ship Models website.  I'm very excited to start a group project early on in its inception.  It will be fun to work on this with so many other modelers.  Thank you, Chuck, for putting this together and sharing your hard work and passion with us.  I will download the plans and get started on cutting frames this week.  

Wow, the dust has not even settled on the Virginia build Matt :)

Good for you sir, I look forward to this one sir. It is also good to see your first completed build in your signature.... you're a vet now :)

1 hour ago, Wallace said:

And off we go. Will you be using a jig to keep that keel and the bulkheads nice and square?

Yes.  I have some large scraps of 3/4" birch plywood hanging around my basement that I will use to build the base.  I'm going to use scraps from the 1/4" Baltic birch plywood to make right angle brackets to hold it square.  The base will be 12x36.  This model is gigantic!  I held it up next to my Virginia 1819.  The hull will be twice as long and almost twice as wide.  I knew that going in, but it's different when it's sitting on the bench.  Of course, you have to feel the same way about your HMS Victory.

8 hours ago, Matt D said:

Of course, you have to feel the same way about your HMS Victory.

That's exactly how I felt Matt. When I first got the hull laid I just couldn't believe how much bigger she was. Have fun mateb it's these early stages that dictate how good your finished hull is going to be. 

I have cut out all of the bulkheads and dry fitted them to the false keel.  It’s very gratifying to see this frame set coming together.  

58A91C03-3CC2-4724-B639-BF58F7D359AB.jpeg

Bow section parts

42978664-562C-4328-BCB5-1C238BFE945E.jpegbow section assembled 

7087DDB6-ABB8-4234-9ED1-3834F1987CEA.jpeg

Mid ship section assembly 

24011C25-259C-4AA8-902B-9A150527EDF4.jpeg

EC3C03AD-47D8-4C32-A85D-4C0ECCF8A0DA.jpeg

Mid-ship parts

07AF4CF2-F58C-48D9-AA39-F5719B64DE62.jpeg

Here is the bow and midsection just loose fit together 

7B5E5272-314D-4980-BB40-E81B3572FEAB.jpeg

This is the aft section parts

C1467370-518C-4278-8E83-C358795092F0.jpeg

This is the aft section assembly.

next, I’ll built the build board.  I’ve made the right angle stands and cut out the board.  I just need to assemble the pieces.

Edited by Matt D
Adding comments

Make sure the bottoms of all those bulkheads touch the rabbet strip like this.  They should end flush or nearly so to the bottom of the bulkhead former.  You will need to adjust your slots so that is the case.  The only ones that dont are at the stern from say bulkhead 19 or so.  Those will follow the bearding line.

Chuck

bulkheads.JPG

Chuck

Thanks, Chuck.  Your picture and direction help a lot.

I made the build board and test fit the frame assembly in it.  The right angle brackets are made from scraps and held together with epoxy.  I used factory corners from my plywood to ensure that they are accurately 90 degrees.  The one in the picture below is the best one of the bunch. 

4C5BFFC3-ED63-430C-A642-AAD9451DF0C1.jpeg

0B893FE0-AA5B-4B1C-B956-1229DB95F099.jpeg

The effort and attention to squaring it all off will pay dividends later on down the line Matt, believe me. 

8 hours ago, Wallace said:

The effort and attention to squaring it all off will pay dividends later on down the line Matt, believe me. 

Of that, I am certain!  Plus, this model will be on the build board for a long time because there's a ton of work to do before planking!  I suspect that I will need to build a hull contoured cradle for it to sit in at that point, and that replace the 90° stands with cradle pieces.

Chuck, it's a long ways down the road, but I thought I read in your log that there will be a longboat for Winnie.  Is that true?  If so, I'm really looking forward to it.

My thoughts so far is that there will be both a longboat and a pinnace.   The cradles will be needed as you start planking the belt along the keel.  Its just a matter of using three bulkhead plansheets to take the curves from after adding and including a slot for the keel.  They will be placed in the same three locations as the brackets.

Chuck

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

I suspect that I will need to build a hull contoured cradle for it to sit in at that point, and that replace the 90° stands with cradle pieces.

I made one for the Vic last weekend. IMHO must once the hull is lined sir.