Plastic sail weathering

• 1 month later...

Do the sails have a 'canvas like' texture? I tended to paint the sails with a light linen colour. Then mix a paint 'wash' of a diluted light brown. Paint over the sail allowing to run into the moulded creases etc. Just prior to becoming completely dry, (just a few seconds), take a tissue and wipe off the raised areas and centre of the sail. This highlights the deeper areas and, if done correctly, can make some areas seem faded as if worn through use. I might do this three or four times till I get the look I want. I might vary for each sail to highlight some as more worn than overs, remember topsails would see the most use. I might, if the mouldings show sails as 'bolts' of cloth, pick out certain sections differently.

It is best to get some photos or paintings of ships under sail to keep at hand whilst you work for reference.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds:

On my last plastic ship, I used the plastic sails as patterns to make cloth sails.  It looked really nice when it was done.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I wouldn't use cloth, as most cloths known to me would be too coarse for any of the usual scales of plastic models. However, the vaccum-formed sails may be a useful mould for sails formed from paper, particular, when the sails have not yet been cut out. I would apply a release agent, e.g. a Teflon-spray, and then arrange the individual bolts of sail cloths. They can be attached to each other with acrylic varnish or diluted white glue. Here on the Forum there are various discussions on how to make sails from paper.

Otherwise, I would kit out the vaccum-formed sails with boltropes etc. These can be stuck on with plastic cement. You can then apply a base coat, pick out different cloths and re-enforcements in slightly lighter or darker shades etc. Just as you would paint a sail in 2D. If you are not familiar with the techniques of plastic modellers, it may be a good idea to have a look at how the guys do things there. There are really sophisticated painting techniques around that are partly based on the techniques of the Old Masters.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

I have used paper before to replace vacform sails. I sewed the boltropes etc into place by soaking the paper so that the needle would pass through without taring the paper. I soaked again whilst bending to the yards which allowed me to have the mainsails partly furled. Once as required I used a strong hairdryer to dry them and doing so from aft made them form a shape as real sails would when in use.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: