Jump to content

Heel Rope

Recommended Posts

I am building the Euromodel schooner, Lyde, which has a bowsprit + jibboom (but no flying-jib). At the jibboom heel, there is a sheave and as good as the drawings are, I cannot determine the function of the heel rope that would pass through it.


Can anybody help me with an explanation ?



Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Pete, according to the 'Nautical Dictionary' by A. Young - 1863  (pdf copies of this dictionary are available online)

A heel-rope is applied through the heel of anything, particularly that which is rove through a sheave at the heel of the jib-boom, or of the bowsprit, for the purpose of hauling it out.  The ropes which are used at the heels of topmasts and topgallant masts are termed mast-ropes.


I hope this clears it up?





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Pat,

Of course … had a mental block there for a moment but thanks for the correction of my thinking that all heel ropes were called 'heel ropes'. The term 'mast-ropes' is new to me so I will go back into my notes and make a few corrections. There is always something new to learn.


I will download that pdf so thanks for that as well.




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...