MS thread equivalent

I have resurrected an old MS USS Constitution kit I purchased many years ago. The threading unravels very easily even when I touch the ends with CA glue. I would like to replace but don't know what would be the equivalent, best type of thread to purchase and where. The thread supplied with the kit (which MS no longer supplies) is size 3/0 for both the black and tan.

I would appreciate your help in locating equivalent thread, what size and what would be the best specifications.

Many thanks.

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

Current build: MS Emma C Berry

Completed: MS Fair American, MS Armed Virginia, MS Pride of Baltimore, Mississippi River Steamboat, Peterboro Canoe, MS USS Constitution, Mayflower, Billings African Queen

On further research I now see the diameter of the thread is 0.005" but I would still like recommendations for what would be the best specifications (polyester, nylon, 3 lines, etc.) and where to buy the best quality.

Many thanks.

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX

John Gilchrist
Yukon, OK

Current build: MS Emma C Berry

Completed: MS Fair American, MS Armed Virginia, MS Pride of Baltimore, Mississippi River Steamboat, Peterboro Canoe, MS USS Constitution, Mayflower, Billings African Queen

Ask Chuck...He is our expert:

https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I second Syren rope from Chuck.    It is an outstanding and very much superior product at a very reasonable price. And you can order multiple sizes and available in multiple colors. The following is an example of kit rope and some Syren rope.  I will let you guess which is which....

AA2A961D-A441-47C3-BF32-F0B155FA2043.thumb.jpeg.ba37bd7cf6bf24b09cd7cb68e2c7ab9d.jpeg

Hi John,

I'm not sure how old your Constitution kit is, but if it's the same as mine, you'll find a conversion chart on sheet 7 of the plans. It shows the rigging line in decimal inches as well as mm. While there are many sizes of line indicated one the plans, and the sizes indicated don't always show up exactly on the conversion chart, you will be fine with three or four or maybe four or five different sizes, regardless of which kind of line you choose to buy. For example, .25 mm, .5 mm, .75mm and 1 mm (or thereabouts) plus garden variety sewing thread for seizing will pretty much work. If your plans are older and different from the ones I have, let me know and I'll send you a copy of the conversion chart.

I have never liked the line included with MS kits, so I have always changed it.  While I believe that the Syren line is probably the best available, it's also a bit expensive if you are as bad at using it sparingly as I am. I find a good option in terms of quality and value is Amati line which is available from Cornwall Model Boats.

David

Current Build - St. Roch, Billing Boats; HMS Agamemnon, Caldercraft (on hold)

Previous Builds - Armed Virginia Sloop, Model Shipways; Constitution, Model Shipways; Rattlesnake, Mamoli; Virginia Privateer, Marine Model Co, restoration; Prince de Neufchatel, Model Shipways; Charles W. Morgan, Model Shipways; Pride of Baltimore II, Model Shipways, Bluenose, Model Shipways (x2); Niagara, Model Shipways; Mayfower, Model Shipways; Shamrock V, Amati; HMS Pegasus, Victory/Amati

I do have the conversion chart on sheet 7 of the MS plans, but it only covers rope not the thread. After further research what I have discovered is that MS is using a flying tackle thread, mostly only available at fishing tackle stores and obviously on  Amazon. The weight is 3/0 which is stronger than the typical sewing thread found in Hobby Lobby and sewing centers. The problem ordering online is that for one thimble costing $3.00 the shipping can be $8 - $10!

I did talk to Chuck at Syren and his thread is .008" diameter vs. .005 for the 3/0 weight thread. Chuck did recommend, however, using a standard sewing thread as being sufficient for most our needs.

I believe I have all the answers now for this topic and appreciate the help and comments from everyone.

Thanks for your help.

John Gilchrist

Rosenberg, TX