Hi.

For now i m experiment with the means of the old wood. Now more % is home made  preparation, but in a while i going to buy professional modeler effects.

How i make that?  I write soon.....This is 1st version of  the old wood efect. There will be many versions.

20190421_143913.jpg

20190421_144716.jpg

20190421_144759.jpg

20190421_145053.jpg

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

Floquil, (God rest it's soul.) once made great weathered wood stains in various colors for "weathered oak," "driftwood" and so on. Sadly, it's no longer available. (Environmental concerns, don'tcha know.) There are commercial weathering stains. Another approach is to use thinned colors... blacks, greys, browns, to suit your taste. Apply the thinned color thickly on horizontal surfaces (lay the piece down and paint the top side) and let the solvent soak in and dry. That should carry more color into the deeper grain pockets. It looks like that's what you've got going already in your pictures. What you've done looks pretty good, if that's what you were looking for. It sure looks like weathered wood to me!

This first attempt. I made lot of the attemps to make result who satisfied me. 

Regards.

End: Bryg corsair occre, Black Pearl Hachette, Scottish maid artesania, BKA 1125

In build: Vasa deagostini, Dwunastu Apostołów deagostini, Hms FLY amati Novik modelik, spitfire airfix,

Wait for build: hms alert shipyard, orp kujawiak wak, hms Beagle occre, thermopyle revell, few JSC models,

There is an alcohol based stain from Hunterline, from Canada. Here is a link to their instructions and products: https://hunterline.com/p/weathering-instructions

They have over 40 colors.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Some time back, I produced this effect by scratching random, longitudinal grooves in my planking with an Exacto knife ....

490134953_Stressedwood.jpg.0d51017f9a53e51e87900e482f7aa0f5.jpg

... the grooves were then filled with a standard HB pencil, before I applied a few coats of wood stains, lightly sanding back in between. As I recall, I used Old Baltic, Golden Teak and Oak stains from Feast Watson. If you are at all interested (at the time, I never thought anyone else would be), feel free to check-out my Bounty Launch log in the link below. Start about halfway down pg4 ....

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy