Hello from a new builder in Oregon

This a great forum. I am very glad to be part of it.

I am new to wooden model ship building and I'm enjoying it. I come to historic ship model by way of the Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin saga, I don't think I'm the only one. Now in my seventh decade I have been a model builder much of my life beginning with plastic model spaceships and airplanes as a child and moving on to WWII and Cold War armored vehicles on and off after that. I'm also a developing woodwork I have obtained a few transferable skills. In ignorance of the sound advice from the Moderator I took on Artesiana Latina's L'Hermione as my first project. All I can say is that Chris is right, there's a steep learning curve and I only discovered this forum after much of the planking of that project was completed. My woodworking experience lead me to several solutions that were readily available in this forum. I am still enjoying the experience and about to move from the deck railing to the deck furniture. I have learned a lot about patience - generally in short supply - during this project. "Do overs" are definitely a part of my experience - as it is for many others. I think that this forum has provided two important lessons that will probably keep me off of Chris's last-time builders list. The first is that the amazing level of experience of the forum members and the willingness to share the triumphs and failures has given me the perspective I've needed as an apprentice builder. The second is that "you can fix that" is a part of the experience, for nearly everyone. I recently had to redo a household project and my wife was surprised by my somewhat Zen attitude. I told her that I owe it to my wooden ship building experiences and the advice of the many good people in this forum.

Richard

Current Build

Artesania Latina L'Hermione

Previous Builds

Gidday Spike and another warm welcome from the Land Downunder.

Firstly, your comments re the level of knowledge and experience of the members is correct and I find  this level of expertise indeed amazing. 

Secondly, the "You can fix that", is also correct. If you cannot find a solution to something that is causing you grief, simply post a question and within a few days you will have differing perspectives and solutions provided. At the very least you will find a suggestion that will lead in the right direction.

As you note, patience is indeed avirtue.

I wish you all the best in your endeavours,

Mark.

Welcome to MSW from another Oregonian.    

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)