What ships were coppered?

Some kits come with copper others with white or black paint for the hull under the waterline. Considering that copper is an expensive material i would guess that only the more advanced ships got plates in reality? 

My Granado kit didnt come with copper, but would it be completely wrong to add it instead of the White paint?

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

The US Navy used to copper its launches (ships boats) in the Nineteenth Century.  A SNAME paper from 1900 describing the first generation of standardized boats says that as of 1900 launches were no longer to be coppered.  I don’t know when this practice started but Navy Ordinance manuals published in the 1850’s show coppered launches.

Launches were large and seaworthy enough to make extended voyages away from the parent vessel so the Navy apparently considered protection necessary.  Smaller boats were not coppered.

Roger