HMS Victory by Vane - Corel - Scale 1:98

HMS Victory - 1st build

25 years ago I bought this kit from Corel as I have always been curious on modelships. The first couple of years I managed to build the hull of the ship and but when I when it was time to start with the masts I lost interest in the project.  I picked it up a few times over the years but it was always just for a few days. Probably I should have started on a simplier first build but when you are young and naive you tend to aim for the sky.

Now I am destined to complete this build and I have also started on another ship to give it some variation. I just recently found this forum and maybe you guys can inspire me to ensure I complete it. Since its my first ship I am far from the skills of what I have seen here.     

sm23_lrg.jpg

History

According to Wikipedia, HMS Victory is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, ordered in 1758, laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765. She is best known for her role as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805. She additionally served as Keppel's flagship at Ushant, Howe's flagship at Cape Spartel and Jervis's flagship at Cape St Vincent. After 1824, she was relegated to the role of harbour ship. In 1922, she was moved to a dry dock at Portsmouth, England, and preserved as a museum ship. She has been the flagship of the First Sea Lord since October 2012 and is the world's oldest naval ship still in commission, with 241 years' service as of 2019.

189134294_HMSVictory.jpg.308b8def5d5bdda9be94c3ab8813f7b2.jpg

The kit

This is one of the cheaper and smaller Victory kits.  The wood was very good especially the walnut. Lots pre made stuff in the box. Some of the details are made in some kind of pressed woodenmass/paper which makes Nice details but kind of not the buildquality you want. Canons and gunports are pre made and may not look perfect but is easy to assemble for the beginner.  Very few pre made parts for the masts and yards. 

I like that there are many plans and that the are reasonable in size. But the manual and instructions are quite bad. 

20190227_083340small.jpg

Edited by Vane
Consistent headings/style with my other buildlogs

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

• 3 months later...

I am truly sorry for the absence of updates. Work has progressed, but I havent had the time for writing about it. 

I have been mostly into the masts and the yards. Basically all of the wooden work has been finished.  

I also decided to pick it up a notch... with two additional builds that will get their own buildlogs soon. Anyone that can identify them?

received_844335515937622.jpeg

Current builds: HMS Victory (Corel 1:98), HMS Snake (Caldercraft 1:64), HMBV Granado (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Diana (Caldercraft 1:64), HMS Speedy (Vanguard Models 1:64) 

A few thoughts on the kit itself. I bought it in the 90s so it might have been changed since then?

Anyway, first the scale...1:98.. i would probably had prefered something much larger which could give Victory the details it deserves. However, then it would had been an enourmous model just to place in a room. Now its slightly longer than meter which is quite reasonable. But you miss out on the details and its trick to handle everything when building it.

The plans are quite Good. Nicely drawn and I really like that they are many but not oversized. But there could had been more details and explanations in them.  Especially regarding the size of things. 

Excellent quality of the wood. Lots of pre made stuff making it easy to build. Well besides from the masts and yards which is totally made from scratch.

Mtrl... the pressed wood/paper solution brings out lots of details but it also looks kind of fake.

Rope... Well if you want to paint your ship (which i think would be the first option) you dont get anything in Black. that sucks. 

Missing pieces,  most things were in the box. I missed a bowsprit Cap. Now at the end I also realized that i am running out of some things. some walnut sizes. Also rings and eyebolts.

I am overall happy with the kit but there are s few things that should be upgraded.

Edited by Vane
spelling

I have been looking into the buildlogs for inspiration for my upcoming rigging work. There are a huge number of Victory models being built. But unfortunately, there are not many of the Corel version and most of those seem to have died during the build process. 

Anyone know where i can find lots of photos of the rigging and mast/yard details on a Corel HMS Victory 1:98?

One of the pieces that was missing in my kit was the pre cut Cap for the bowsprit,  but the had an extra for the Main mast so i had to modify it. Not perfect but ok.

received_720010591769457.jpeg

After looking at photos of the real Victory and other larger scale models I believe that Corel made a few compromisses for the design of the bowsprit. Maybe it just the scale 1:98 that is just too small to make it right. It was also difficult to fit everything in place here.

received_822787074787157.jpeg

Working on the yards. I decided to do the "thinkening" in the middle bit differently than suggested by the plans where you have to put 8 very small pieces together. Instead i just make the yard Square. Add 4 pieces of thicker planks together and thereafter carve out 8 sides. 

received_419793498609920.jpeg

received_504218523653465.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...

I will soon post more photos on how the ship looks today, but first I revisited some of my old archives and found some photos that must be more than 15 yrs old probably shot with my first digital camera ever so the quality is really bad.

Unfortuntaly, I didnt find anything from the start of the build. Maybe I have some old traditional analog photographs hidden somewhere…

Here we go:

DSCN0232.jpg

DSCN0246.jpg

DSCN0248.jpg

DSCN0255.jpg

DSCN0275.jpg

DSCN0326.jpg

DSCN0327.jpg

Thanks 🙂

Well, considering I build this mostly 20yrs ago and its my first, I am quite happy so far but its far from other builds on this site. Back then it was also difficult to get info and help since Internet had merely started. I remember ordering numerous of books from UK and here are the ones that help me out abit. 

I have started with the rigging and its both fashinating and scary.  This is definitely not the right model to start with, so i am doing HMS Snake in parallel. Not sure which one that will come first to the finishing line....

20190722_231647.jpg

Edited by Vane

And here  are some newer photos of the kit taken with a proper camera…  its the first time I am doing ratlines so its far from perfect. And also I decided not to put any nettings on her. I just think this scale is too small for some of the details.

DSC_6941.jpg

DSC_6942.jpg

DSC_6943.jpg

DSC_6944.jpg

DSC_6945.jpg

This is probably the most difficult part to make in the Corel kit. Completely from scratch and with tiny timber.  Very fragile. My other kits from Caldercraft has a much easier solution with precut parts. (top part).

20190726_234107.jpg

And its here...Cornwall model boats delivers quickly... only 7 Days from order to my door in Sweden. 

What's in the box? What's in the box? What's in the box?

20190730_175657.jpg

Various of supplies and a 4th model and its massive... definitely not what i need at the moment.

And i will try my best not to start working on her until I have at least finished my Victory! 

20190730_175804.jpg

Lol!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

I knew it! You made the right choice.

HMS Diana is on my someday list.

Excellent choice!

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Thanks, I just had to do it... but how in the hell am I am going to keep my fingers from it is the next question….?

Rigging Victory is fun, rigging Victory is fun, rigging Victory is fun, rigging Victory is fun, rigging Victory is fun, rigging Victory is fun, rigging Victory is fun, rigging Victory is fun, … if I just say it enough times I might convince myself?! :-P

Look at it from the challenge perspective. I have to rig my Victory in the near future. I will hopefully be at that stage this winter.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of work done on all my 4 kits this weekend so i decided to take some photos tonight of the current state.  Here dry fitting the mast which soon will be glued in position. Just a few more blocks to tie.

DSC_3195.jpg

DSC_3196.jpg