HMS Leopard fore stay sail

toms10

Hello out there. I am working on the HMS Leopard and I am starting to work on the bow sprit area. I was looking ahead a bit at the standing and running rigging to see how it works together with bow sprit, Jin and flying jib. My question concerns the stay sails, particularly the fore stay sail.  The plans show it but all the reference material I have seen makes no mention of it except Lennarth Peterson’s Rigging Period Ship Models (pg 87).  I am trying to follow Steele’s Elements of Mast Making and Rigging,  Mondfeld’s Historic Ship Models and Harland’s Seamanship in the Age of Sail but none of them make mention of it. I was only able to find 3 sails (fore topmast, inner and outer jibs).

I have very detailed pictures of this model that was built by Larissa Rumtant of the Ukraine. It won the world championships so I am thinking it must be a pretty good representation. In her model it was not present. Other than my plans, it shows up nowhere. Do I too omit it or follow the plans?  The plans are from Winfield’s 50 Gun Ship. Below is a copy of the plans I have been doodling on. The sail in question is outlined in red. 

Any clarification would be appreciated. My gut is to follow the plan. 

48EA99F8-123E-4E47-A11B-E20D1D8A0D8E.thumb.jpeg.421a9a9664aa467cf8aa1bef1598f486.jpeg

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom,

This is from Steels elements of Standing and Running Rigging for a 50 Gun Ship fore Staysail :-

Staysail halliard :- 3".

Staysail sheets :-  3".

Staysail tack :-  2".

Staysail downhauler :-  2".

Hope this helps with your decision,up to you now :D

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Dave

thanks for the reply. I could not find this info in my book. I have Elements of Mastmaking Sailmaking and Rigging. I did see a reference to a fore stay sail for a 20 gun ship in the sailmaking section on page 82, plate XVI. is there another Steel book?  I also can’t locate any tables with rope sizes. It does have block information. 

Sounds like Ike there might be another book I might need to add to the library. 

Tom

Hi Tom,

Google The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship. This will take you to the site of the San Francisco Maritime National Park Association,they have reproduced the complete book and tables there. I've that site bookmarked,a lot of reading for sure. 

Dave :dancetl6:

Hi Frankie. I too will be putting it in as per the plans. Thanks for the input. Your model looks good. 

Dave, thanks for the link. I will definitely make use of this. 

Tom

I noticed there are 3 volumes of The Elements and Practice of Rigging and Seamanship by Steel. Are they all very different or is there a lot of duplicate information between the volumes?  I can't get on the San Francisco Maritime website to check out what they have on-line.  It seems to be down right now.

Tom

Thanks Vince.  I was finally able to get on the website and check it out.  Definitely worth a bookmark.  Maybe Christmas present ideas.😉

Tom

I personally like a lot of canvas.  I would personally make the staysail.  But, that’s just me.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me