Treatment of cotton rope

Hello everyone,

just another newbie rigging question. It is the first time that I use after-market rope for rigging. Shall I use some treatment on cotton rope (I.e. syren miniature rope) like bee-wax or varnish or leave the rope untreated? If yes, should I use the treatment before installing the rope or after that? Thank you for help.

Best regards,

Andreas

Edited by captain_hook

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Lots of ways to do this.  I just pull the line through a block of beewax and burnish in with my fingers.  I have also used a mix of 50/50 white glue and water.   I'm certain there's more ways.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you for that information. I will try the different treatments and see if I get good results.

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

Another process I have been using if you use dye stain for coloring is to dissolve some small chips of bees wax in turpentine along with the dye stain then run this through a cotton rag until the desired color is achieved then hang the rope to dry. I have been using this on some running rigging colored with a mix of golden oak and a darker walnut dye to achieve the appropriate color. I am not sure where I found this process but may have been a suggestion by Erik Ronnberg. 

Bill

Current Build:

Kate Cory Scratch Built

Previous Builds:

Benjamin W. Latham Scratch Built

H A Parks Skipjack Scratch Built

Charles W. Morgan Model Shipways Kit

Rattlesnake Model Shipways Kit

Diligence Model Shipways Kit

• 3 weeks later...