Dear All,

I proud to present my new PL4 series rope making machines.

PL40-Left1.thumb.jpg.edc719f61071e5201c3785733b1ba8f1.jpgPL40-All.thumb.jpg.000ba1aee8299609a7b37ef781444d23.jpg

How to operate on YouTube

Full details on ShipWorkshop.com

Basic features

• 2-, 3- or 4-stranded;
  • With/without the core;
  • Plain laid or cable laid;
  • Left or right lay.

Series members

1. PL4-3: 2, 3 strands, no core;
  2. PL4-4: 2-4 strands, with core. PL3.2 successor;

Choosing the right machine
Please consider followings choosing the machine:

• PL4-3 makes 3-strand ropes and cables little bit better and easier than PL4-4.
  • 4-strand ropes are rarely used on models and can be made using another tool like our VR series rope making machines.

BR,

Alexey

You should be proud, Alexey! It looks beautiful. 

From what I see, the PL4  series provides the option of purchasing a dedicated three-strand machine, the PL4-3 that will also wind two-strand line or a four-strand machine, the PL4-4, which is the successor to the PL3.2, that will wind two-, three-, or cored four-strand line.  It appears that the PL4-4 is virtually mechanically identical to the PL3.2 but in a more organized and tighter package which places the separate control box of the PL3.2 with its attendant connecting wires which clutter the workspace (but in no way inhibit operation) within the base of the machine.  

Many of the parts have been redesigned, obviously increasing strength to their benefit. This is particularly so with the bases for the main power and take-up spool motor mounts, which I think is a significant improvement structurally.  Notable, as well, is the change in the traverse arm, shortening it and changing it's travel from the vertical to the horizontal plane, which makes it much less likely to break from an inadvertent impact. Arm now pivots from the middle, rather than then end as it did in the PL3.2 and an additional fair-lead added so there is now one at each end of the traverse lever. I presume this is intended to provide greater range in setting the angle at which the line feeds out from the crossbar.  

The head appears to be redesigned, having only a single face rather than the two plates between with the gears were sandwiched on the PL3.2, but the mechanics of the head appears identical. The head axle is mounted in a differently designed post which I expect provides a more robust fixture, although the PL3.2's mounting block did not seem deficient in that respect. If nothing else, the PL4 mount is more elegantly designed. It appears the separate mount for the core bobbin has been re-engineered to make it a bit more convenient, as well.

The biggest difference I see, aside from the redesign of the head, which doesn't seem to change anything except to simplify the previous design and provide a more elegant assembly, are the changes to the adapter disk and crossbar through which the finished line leaves the headstock. The solid adapter disk and and straight crossbar attached at each end, which is adjustable by movement of nuts on the threaded rods on the PL3.2  appears now to be replaced by two apparently identical three-legged "spider" pieces attached at three points to the threaded rods attached to the headstock. The PL4 crossbar does not have attachment/adjustment nuts on it, but instead appears to be part of a sub-assembly connected to the former "adapter disk" by plastic sleeves over the threaded rods from the headstock which perhaps provides a more convenient adjustment method for the crossbar. That would be an interesting improvement if that is indeed what it does.

Alexey, could you give us some more detailed information about the new model?  Here are my questions:

What's "new and different" and why?

What does the new traverse design with the two fair leads intended to improve and how are the two fair leads used?

What is different about the operation and or function of the new adapter disk and crossbar design?

Is it dependent upon the new horizontal two-fair lead to do what it does differently?

If the new adapter disk and crossbar design is a significant improvement, can it be purchased separately to be attached to the PL3-2 as an upgrade?

The PL3.2 crossbar, being a flat piece with two holes for threaded rods to pass through and one smaller hole in the center for the line, made it easy for the user to fabricate an additional crossbar with a larger hole that accommodated larger diameter line passing through it. How does the PL4's new "three-legged spider" molded piece that replaces the PL3.2's flat plastic crossbar accommodate differences in line size? Does one have to purchase different "spiders" and drill larger holes, or what?

While I suppose your initial post was appropriately placed in the "things for sale" section of the forum, I'd like to suggest to the moderators that further discussion should be in the "tools and materials" section and also placed in the "rope" section of the "modeling techniques" section in the home page drop-down bar.  The fact that it's for sale makes its posting by the seller to the "for sale" section correct, but the discussion of its operation and technical developments more relevant to the other sections mentioned and gives those discussions much wider notice than in "things for sale," as the limited comments to the initial post in "for sale" amply demonstrates. This is of much wider interest.

Hello, Bob,

first of all, thank you so much for kind word and for the review I've never done by myself. You are right in most even all points in your review. Thank you again.

Here are my answers which I post with pleasure:

What's "new and different" and why?

I use new and different materials as well as new 3D printing technology instead of acrylic laser cutting to make most parts. Why? Because it saves my time and works better in total assembly and utility. Makes it universal, you see, I use one platform for 3, 4, 6 strands. Allows me to make new parts in more free manner which can be resulted as redesigned other machines. I always try me best to simplify (genial is simple): for me -  assembly process, for my lovely customers - utility, usefulness, plain and simple work with and so on.

What does the new traverse design with the two fair leads intended to improve and how are the two fair leads used?

Oops... There is just one lead needed as you can see it in video guide. Two came from experiments and I forgot to remove closest to the head 🙂

What is different about the operation and or function of the new adapter disk and crossbar design?

There is no adapter disk anymore. To be honesty it's not needed even in previous models. I put it only for marketing purposes and for avoiding claims from some guys about 3 threads twisting process on 4stranded ropewalks. That was more simple for me to include this disk than explain why they do not need it. Sorry...

Is it dependent upon the new horizontal two-fair lead to do what it does differently?

As I said I forgot to change it to regular one-fair lead 🙂

If the new adapter disk and crossbar design is a significant improvement, can it be purchased separately to be attached to the PL3-2 as an upgrade?

No, this is the question of looking. If you need it I can send you new ones. You know, my spare parts cost not like M. Benz's 🙂

The PL3.2 crossbar, being a flat piece with two holes for threaded rods to pass through and one smaller hole in the center for the line, made it easy for the user to fabricate an additional crossbar with a larger hole that accommodated larger diameter line passing through it. How does the PL4's new "three-legged spider" molded piece that replaces the PL3.2's flat plastic crossbar accommodate differences in line size? Does one have to purchase different "spiders" and drill larger holes, or what?

There is 3mm hole. I presume it could be enough for all ropes produced by PL4... Ok, I check how to make it 2holed version, for the first time you need to order another one or just drill bigger central hole.

If you need to move first crossbar closer to the head you may replace white tubes with nuts. The only thing you have to remember - you can't move the second crossbar as result rope can cling to the threaded rods ends while going from the second crossbar to the traverse lead. That's why I use far fair-lead instead of close.

Hope I made some points clear for you. Anyway, please feel free to contact me.

cheers,

Alexey