It's Time to Introduce Myself

BobG

Beautiful models and a great story.

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2 hours ago, Backer said:

Beautiful models and a great story.

:sign:

Thank you, Patrick. I took a look at your Wasa and Golden Hind. Amazing detail and craftsmanship! I hope to be able to scratch build at some point too.

Bob

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you for the welcome, Bossman. I had a bit of a wild streak in me as an 18 year old. The Coast Guard provided a foundation for me to that energy into something meaningful and I grew up a lot during those 4 years.

Bob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

On 2/4/2020 at 9:25 AM, stm said:

have watched the TV series "Deadliest Catch" showing the crab fishermen on the Bearing Sea. 

My niece after graduating college with a Marine Biology degree got a job with the Alaska Fisheries dept. Her job was to go out with those fishing boats and monitor the catch, collecting data for fisheries dept.  After a few years she came back to the lower 48, got her Masters degree, applied for a job teaching Science at a local high school. During the job interview the Principal asked  if she could handle a bunch of teenage boys; she replied that the fisherman of the "deadliest catch"  had been her "drinking buddies" and felt she could handle a bunch of teenage boys. The Prinicpal hired her on the spot. 

Welcome aboard, Bob

Edited by Jack12477

1 hour ago, Jack12477 said:

During the job interview the Principal asked  if she could handle a bunch of teenage boys; she replied that the fisherman of the "deadliest catch"  had been her "drinking buddies" and felt she could handle a bunch of teenage boys. The Prinicpal hired her on the spot. 

Hahaha...too true! The bars in Kodiak could get quite rowdy quickly back in the late 60's and fights were not uncommon once some of the fishermen got juiced up. I've watched quite of lot of the Deadliest Catch just because it brings back such vivid memories.

Safety onboard the Alaskan fishing vessels has improved so much since then and the safety requirements and enforcement of those requirements are immensely better than back when I was stationed aboard the Storis. Unfortunately, quite a few of our rescue operations ended up being recovery operations because of the lack of safety equipment and enforcement back then. Heck, we didn't even have dry suits or survival suits onboard the Storis then either. I'm sure that has all changed for the better now.

Thanks for the welcome, Jack.

Bob

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

What a wonderful story Bob, thank you for sharing that.  Having enjoyed that over my morning coffee, I almost feel like I know you now.  So very sad about the Storis.  We lose way too many of our nautical treasures to the breakers.  

Edited by DonInAZ

Current Build: Chesapeake Bay Flattie by Midwest Products

Completed Builds:  Chesapeake Bay Crabbing Skiff by Midwest Products

Thanks very much, Don. Yes, the scrapping of the Storis was very controversial and happened rather  surreptitiously by the General Service Administration even as the efforts to save her as a dockside museum in Juneau was well underway with plans and fundraising efforts in place by a group dedicated to preserving her. There was a public outcry by Alaskan legislators but it fell on deaf ears in Washington. 

Another little known fact about the Storis was that she was the first US flagged vessel to circumnavigate the North American continent in 1957 after she navigated the Northwest Passage along with the Coast Guard Cutters Bramble and Spar. She also received 47 unit service awards in her long and storied lifetime of service.

Here is a link to an article recapping her history and her final days: https://www.militarytrader.com/military-vehicles-news/former-coast-guard-cutter-storis-goes-to-scrap-yard

Bob

210414770_ScreenShot2020-02-08at11_11_32AM.thumb.png.4a55a68858c79df2d25a146a02344ba0.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-08 at 11.11.49 AM.png

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: